Marker Light Question…

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Flatwater

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
My son is adding rooftop marker/clearance lights to his ‘79. How was the wiring for these ran? Is the windshield post hollow? Or does it go down the back corner of the cab and then up to the dash?

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Yes the windshield post ("A" pillar) is hollow. Remove the driver's side sun visor, that will give you access to snake the wire down the post.

When you install the cab markers, make sure you place them where the factory markers are located. Then you can run the wire through the the hollow windshield top support.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
Here's the wiring diagram. FYI on factory lights, the end lenses cant to the outside.

You must be registered for see images attach

Flatwater

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Here's the wiring diagram. FYI on factory lights, the end lenses cant to the outside.

Nice! Thank you!

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I have the old seals and covers from my truck(not this one) and this cab here probably has some harness (possibly..) but you are probably buying a kit I assume?

Flatwater

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I have the old seals and covers from my truck(not this one) and this cab here probably has some harness (possibly..) but you are probably buying a kit I assume?
For his pickup, he mounted a set of generic parts house lights. For mine, I picked up a set of Truck Lite 1313A’s. I’ll probably end up building harnesses for both. I like that pic, though. Shows good mounting orientation.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
For his pickup, he mounted a set of generic parts house lights. For mine, I picked up a set of Truck Lite 1313A’s. I’ll probably end up building harnesses for both. I like that pic, though. Shows good mounting orientation.
In my opinion the original design of the seals is better, but the forward facing mounting of the lights is to be compliant with california and/or rear visible lights. A proper LED would get around the new seals but a incandescent will too

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
@AuroraGirl it's funny you mention California. We had so many crazy laws there. If you notice in the parts list above, there is a specific call out for Calif clearance lights. The state required any vehicle over 80" width had to have clearance lights. The thing that makes this truck require them is the Dana 60 front axle. Also no amber light is allowed to the rear. The solution is what you see below. These are my original covers with the black paint. My new lights are GM replacements that I still need to paint. Unfortunately I couldn't find any of the OEM black style. Those Truck Lite 1313A are very similar to the OEM ones.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
@AuroraGirl it's funny you mention California. We had so many crazy laws there. If you notice in the parts list above, there is a specific call out for Calif clearance lights. The state required any vehicle over 80" width had to have clearance lights. The thing that makes this truck require them is the Dana 60 front axle. Also no amber light is allowed to the rear. The solution is what you see below. These are my original covers with the black paint. My new lights are GM replacements that I still need to paint. Unfortunately I couldn't find any of the OEM black style. Those Truck Lite 1313A are very similar to the OEM ones.

Does the rule cover turn signals?
Also, the seals design of the new marker caps would help keep any light from being visible since they point forward not straight up, if it were soomething to need more of. Also i would imagine internally painting if using an LED may help if that again was an issue

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
Does the rule cover turn signals?
No. There is a specific law that allows amber turn indicators facing the rear. Back in the early 90's a lot of Honda owner on our cruise route would swap the wiring for the amber turn signal and one of the brake/parking lights. You can't have amber brake light either. It was an easy ticket for me.

FYI that same clearance lamp law is why my truck also has lights on the tailgate.

JonBoyTN27

Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
gmc k25
Engine Size

@Craig 85 is there any info on the measurements or template to correct spacing etc of the cab roof clearance lights?

Last edited:

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
WTF? Lol. Lost for words

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ssgmike