Many Issues, Little Experience

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jacK5

Reaction score
First Name
Jackson
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach
for starters.
1987 V10 Blazer
Silverado
6.2 Detroit Diesel,
she sat for 18 years, and has had basic maintenance done. previous owner replaced: rear shoes, diesel filter, and switched batteries over to top mount, im sure more small things were done.
I have done: oil filter/oil, air filter, coolant.
So now this brings me to
half of the electronics inside dont work. cluster lights, probably two work. gauges keep blowing a fuse- cant remember the label, will need to check soon. passenger window, barely works. driver window, doesnt. rear window also doesnt, motor works fine however. glow plug/water in fuel lights do work. hazards dont work, not sure on turn signals(hazards will stay lit, not flash, only if brake pedal is pressed)

as of right now my shopping list looks like:ATF, Diff oil

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
for starters.
1987 V10 Blazer
Silverado
6.2 Detroit Diesel,
So now this brings me to
half of the electronics inside dont work. cluster lights, probably two work. gauges keep blowing a fuse- cant remember the label, will need to check soon. passenger window, barely works. driver window, doesnt. rear window also doesnt, motor works fine however. glow plug/water in fuel lights do work. hazards dont work, not sure on turn signals(hazards will stay lit, not flash, only if brake pedal is pressed)

6.2 diesel = LL4 RPO, correct?

also forgot, Battery cables :| they are beyond bad. Replacing these would be a prudent place to start.

As far as electronics, there really isn't much to go on. Possible to be more specific?

The issue with the cluster lighting is most likely just due to the fact that the lamps are 18 years old.

The fuse that keeps blowing is probably the 20 amp GAUGE/IDLE fuse. In addition to the gauges, that fuse supplies a large number of circuits on the 39 PNK/BLK circuit. See the attached image. Some time and investigation with a multi-meter will be required.

Hazards... try a new flasher relay. The brake lights and the rear hazards/directionals all use the same filament, so it makes sense that leaning on the brake pedal will cause them to stay on - if the flasher is bad.

Window problems...that's a job for another day.

Last edited:

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Welcome to GMSB from Georgia. You've come to the right place.

Start with your battery cables and connections there. I use #2 welding cable, works great. Then clean all of your ground connections and use copper-infused anti-seize on them.

jacK5

Reaction score
First Name
Jackson
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
thank you guys! will be updating among when i actually have the freetime to work on it, hopefully this week i will be able to get it back home, take the dash out and get new battery cables in. and thank you for the tip on #2 welding wire- definitely cheaper than actual cables!

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
As @chengny said, Battery Cables first. Then go to the dash.

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Welcome to the site.

Forum statistics

Threads