Manual Transmission locked up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

arpaulus

Reaction score
First Name
rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
I replace the clutch on my 73 1 ton dump truck and after I got the transmission pushed up against the bell housing I can’t move the shifter out of gear.
I know the clutch is working because when I turn the starter and push the clutch in it stops turning the driveshaft

arpaulus

Reaction score
First Name
rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
I wonder if when I Took out the transmission and laid it on its side it caused something to lock up in the transmission

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I replace the clutch on my 73 1 ton dump truck and after I got the transmission pushed up against the bell housing I can’t move the shifter out of gear.
I know the clutch is working because when I turn the starter and push the clutch in it stops turning the driveshaft
You put the stick into the forks wrong is my guess. Some people alway put it in first, others neutral, pull the shifter from the tower and you’ll likely solve your mystery.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
The proper way, I believe is slightly in the reverse detent, not all the way in reverse. Its the same for going in and out. If you mess up the cogs in the case you can move them with a prybar.

arpaulus

Reaction score
First Name
rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
You put the stick into the forks wrong is my guess. Some people alway put it in first, others neutral, pull the shifter from the tower and you’ll likely solve your mystery.
maybe I wasn't clear in my explanation, I didn't remove the shifter I just slid back the whole transmission , lowered it to the ground and turned it on its side and slid it out from under the truck , after I replaced the clutch I slide it back under the truck, set it upright and hoisted it back in place in line with the bell housing and slide the spline back in the bell housing
I was thinking about taking the top of the manual transmission case ( where the shifter is ) off to see if something was jammed or out of sync inside the case - is that what you mean by pull the shifter from the tower ?

Attachments

• IMG_0412.jpg
    IMG_0412.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 64

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Maybe try sliding the trans back to see if it’ll go through the gears…

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
I wonder if when I Took out the transmission and laid it on its side it caused something to lock up in the transmission

maybe I wasn't clear in my explanation, I didn't remove the shifter .......
I was thinking about taking the top of the manual transmission case ( where the shifter is ) off to see if something was jammed or out of sync inside the case - is that what you mean by pull the shifter from the tower ?
You do not need to remove the whole shifter, just the shift lever. Right where the stick lever goes into the shifter is the round cover. The lever is pushed up by a spring underneath. Push that round cover down and turn it counterclockwise to release it from the two tangs on each side. The stick lever will come out, cover, lever and spring.

Laying the trans on it's side may have jammed the lever out of one of the shifting fork rails. Or maybe pushed two rails into gear. In neutral all three rails should be inline and in the center.

Easy way to remove the stick, lay a rag around the lever. With a large pair of water pump pliers, not holding but laying on top of the cover, push down with one hand near the plier jaws. The other hand holding the pliers level, rotate CCW. Try not to dent the tin cover.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
You do not need to remove the whole shifter, just the shift lever. Right where the stick lever goes into the shifter is the round cover. The lever is pushed up by a spring underneath. Push that round cover down and turn it counterclockwise to release it from the two tangs on each side. The stick lever will come out, cover, lever and spring.

Laying the trans on it's side may have jammed the lever out of one of the shifting fork rails. Or maybe pushed two rails into gear. In neutral all three rails should be inline and in the center.

Easy way to remove the stick, lay a rag around the lever. With a large pair of water pump pliers, not holding but laying on top of the cover, push down with one hand near the plier jaws. The other hand holding the pliers level, rotate CCW. Try not to dent the tin cover.
Tin cover? Did some have a cast iron cover vs tin one, then later aluminum too i guess. or am i not thinking of the same object as you rn

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Same. Tin = thin metal (steel) Not the whole cast shifter, just the round lever cover.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Also a dowel pin for the shifter handle could have popped out of place, this could cause the handle to bind. There's two dowel pins on each side of the tower.

arpaulus

Reaction score
First Name
rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
maybe I wasn't clear in my explanation, I didn't remove the shifter I just slid back the whole transmission , lowered it to the ground and turned it on its side and slid it out from under the truck , after I replaced the clutch I slide it back under the truck, set it upright and hoisted it back in place in line with the bell housing and slide the spline back in the bell housing
I pulled the shifter out , and placed back in several times , still locked up. I don't want to slide the transmission back from the bell housing if I don't have to, that would be alot of work if its not needed. the drive shaft is also locked also unless I push in the clutch , then its free, this leads me to believe its in the transmission case. I think my next step is to remove the top of the transmission case and see if I can see anything out of line. What are your thoughts? Any concerns that you know of before I remove it , Never opened this up before not sure if there are tricks to putting it back together or exactly what I am looking for

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I pulled the shifter out , and placed back in several times , still locked up. I don't want to slide the transmission back from the bell housing if I don't have to, that would be alot of work if its not needed. the drive shaft is also locked also unless I push in the clutch , then its free, this leads me to believe its in the transmission case. I think my next step is to remove the top of the transmission case and see if I can see anything out of line. What are your thoughts? Any concerns that you know of before I remove it , Never opened this up before not sure if there are tricks to putting it back together or exactly what I am looking for
so its in gear until you push in the clutch :p

then the shifter wont move, but its disengaged from the driveline

so its something in the shifter on top most likely :p

did you place the shifter as in the top of the trans or just the very top with the rod. because the way you describe it sounds like you may not have handled the shift rail things or what have you

is there fluid in it(not sure how much that would affect, but maybe when it was on its side something weird happened?)

arpaulus

Reaction score
First Name
rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
yes , i agree its in the trany, i placed the shifter back in place down into the trany and still have the same problem, Yes I refilled the fluid to full when it runs out the refill hole- 5 quarts

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
yes , i agree its in the trany, i placed the shifter back in place down into the trany and still have the same problem, Yes I refilled the fluid to full when it runs out the refill hole- 5 quarts
ATF or gear lube

also I wasnt agreeing its in the transmission. and your reply still makes me unsure if you pulled the entire shifter off or just the stick.because I feel someone could "i placed the shifter back in place down into the trany" in relation to both the whole assembly and the rod on top

arpaulus

Reaction score
First Name
rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
Found the problem down in the shifter hole , the two shift slots were not lined up , used a screw driver to line up the slots and now it works perfectly, found on utube with someone who had a similar problem with a k20
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Thanks everyone for your help

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rossivey