Manual transmission help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ryan1982

Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hello everyone! This will be my first post and from the looks of the information on here, I am going to learn a lot. And hopefully have some knowledge to share with everyone else! I did some research on the forums but didn't see, or missed the info I'm looking for. Here is the info I'm looking for:

So, I just bought 3 squarebodies and a bunch of parts. One I am starting a frame off rebuild and it is an 82 K10. Was a diesel but becoming a small block because of the engine being bad. Another runs and drives with just a little rust. It is an 83 K10 1 owner. This one is my sons daily driver. And the 3rd is a 1983 C10.
So now to my question. My sons 83 was a manual truck. When the original owner couldn't drive a manual anymore, it was converted to an automatic. The guy I bought everything from gave me another manual with a transfer case attached and said it is good. Problem is, it is a side loader transmission and in my day, all of these were top loaders. What is this transmission from? I'm at a loss.....Thanks in advance!!
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
I believe that may be a 4 speed with overdrive 4th, which were introduced in 1982. They do not have a super-low gear, but have .73 overdrive in 4th.

GM New Process A833
1st 3.09 2nd 1.67 3rd 1.00 4th .73 OD

Bruce

Ryan1982

Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hey Bruce, thanks a bunch for helping me out. I was also confused because in my LMC truck catalog, they don't list a boot that looks like it will work with the shifter. Guess I will be putting a manual back in the 83. Thanks again!!

mmerlinn

Reaction score
First Name
mmerlinn
Truck Year
1977, 1993, & 1993
Truck Model
Ranger, Aerostar, & Aerostar
Engine Size
460, 181, & 181
Hello everyone! This will be my first post and from the looks of the information on here, I am going to learn a lot. And hopefully have some knowledge to share with everyone else! I did some research on the forums but didn't see, or missed the info I'm looking for. Here is the info I'm looking for:

So, I just bought 3 squarebodies and a bunch of parts. One I am starting a frame off rebuild and it is an 82 K10. Was a diesel but becoming a small block because of the engine being bad. Another runs and drives with just a little rust. It is an 83 K10 1 owner. This one is my sons daily driver. And the 3rd is a 1983 C10.
So now to my question. My sons 83 was a manual truck. When the original owner couldn't drive a manual anymore, it was converted to an automatic. The guy I bought everything from gave me another manual with a transfer case attached and said it is good. Problem is, it is a side loader transmission and in my day, all of these were top loaders. What is this transmission from? I'm at a loss.....Thanks in advance!!

Looks like a NP440 (aka A833) to me. Fits 1982 to 1989. Don't damage the bell nor the front bearing retainer. They are made out of unobtainium.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84