Manual Shifter removal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

reddouble86

Reaction score
First Name
Brock
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30 Silverado Camper Special Dually
Engine Size
454/SM465
i am changing the clutch in my truck this weekend and I can not seem to disconnect the shifter from the tran. A friend of mine told me to just knock the roll pin out and bing. But the roll pin seems to be very solid. Is there a trick to removing these? Not sure what trans it is but it is huge and the shifter is right on the top. casting #s are465452 if that will help. and it has one line on the p-cker shaft. thanks for reading.

Last edited:

reddouble86

Reaction score
First Name
Brock
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
454/SM465
I got it. Thanks

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I got it. Thanks

How did you get it? You are supposed to push down on the pivot retainer doohicky, then rotate it counter clockwise to release the shifter. I think you're supposed to take it out while it's in 1st also (not Low, but 1st).

reddouble86

Reaction score
First Name
Brock
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
454/SM465
Got it by breaking one of the retaining pins (accident). Then figured out the twist lock deal. Not sure what gear its in, but it is in A gear. Hopfully it wont be to hard to find a replacment roll pin. Could have saved myself a lot of time and effort if I would have waited for your answer. Learning the hard way as usual. Thanks again.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Welcome Aboard Brock. That's what we're here for. And we don't always pounce on threads to give answers, although, with the several knowledgable guys here, we usually do have a good response time where on other forums, a thread can sit for days before a response.
Next time you're getting ready to start a project you've never tackled before, just search for what your doing and participate in that thread. If you don't find it, then fire up a new thread in the correct category and let us know what you intend to do and ask any questions you might have. Even if you don't have questions, fire up the thread and let us know. If there is any secrets or tips on the job, most guys are here are willing to give the info up front and some do's and don'ts. Maybe post it up the day, night or weekend before and be sure to check the thread before you get started. Many times we even know where to get parts, better parts, good prices which sometimes is mail order internet. So try to plan your jobs in advance and come here first. I'll assure you, you will be saved alot of headache and frustration.
However, we are ******** too. We kinda expect you to participate and come back with an update on how you did, and post up any before & after pics you can take. Also any "how to" pics or any tips and tricks you learned on your own that you can pass along for the next guy. Pretty simple really !!!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I've also moved your thread from Differential and Driveline to Transmission and Transfer Case Category. A couple of threads here with links that can have some great info for you while you've got this apart.

How to fix the common sloppy shifter on SM465. We don't like to send members off to other forums, but when credit is due, so be it. This is a great write up by Bill Vista of Pirate 4x4. http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1632

And here is a link to SM465 and SM420 GM Granny Gear top loader manual transmisisons
http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1864

These are Sticky Threads at the top of the Trans and Tcase Category Index.

reddouble86

Reaction score
First Name
Brock
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
454/SM465
Thanks for the tips, Hotrod.

reddouble86

Reaction score
First Name
Brock
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
454/SM465
Fixed the broken pin with a valve cover bolt and a hose clamp, I read about in the Bill Vista article. Thanks again!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Great News Brock. Thanks for the update. Glad we could help. In this case, just getting you to Bill's info, but that's what we do. If we don't know the answer, we know where to get it. :waytogo:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trchno