manual clutch linkage issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JohnnyVanZyl

Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
1979 , 1975
Truck Model
k30, C30
Engine Size
350, 454
hey guys, i just picked up a 79 k30 with a 350/465/205 in it, the clutch pedal goes straight to the floor and the clutch " works " in that theres no issue getting into a gear with the motor running, but when i let off the pedal it comes up maybe an inch max, i have to pull it the rest of the way with my foot and thats if it even comes up at all, sometimes it wont. the Zbar looks fairly healthy, theres some slop in the ends (linkage and the adjuster pin ) but the bushings are pretty good. There was only a spring holding the adjuster rod in place ( spring was from the Zbar to the clutch fork ) and apart from the big spring on the pedal assembly, there was nothing under the truck and there is nothing under the dash spring wise, but i can see a spot that looks like it should have one. when i was messing around with everything it looked like the fork had a pile of slop inside the clutch. it flopped up and down and front too back, the guy said the clutch was just put in but it needed springs, i have 0 experience with manual squares all i know are class 8s, is it possible that it just needs more springs? anybody have any pics of any springs below/ under the dash? all i can find so far is a diagram showing a spring from the clutch fork to the frame, and an adjuster with a longer pin that uses a spring back to the fork as well as having a pin hole for a cotter key. sorry this is so long, im going in blind being new to the truck and new to manual squares. not getting any chatter or awful noises out of the clutch but its definitely annoying having to toe the pedal back up, thanks guys

papstruck454

Reaction score
First Name
david
Truck Year
Truck Model
gmc k15
Engine Size
I see no help was offered for your clutch problem. I’ve been fighting mine as well. I added a spring under the dash to help pull the pedal back up. The big spring under the dash seems to help some but my pedal still sticks to the floor sometimes. It’s Jerry rigged with a rope ties to the pedal so if it sticks I just pull the rope layer across my lap. Mine is a 78 model so all the linkages are sloppy. Seriously considering a hydraulic setup but I like mechanical linkages when they aren’t worn out and work properly. As for your truck try adding a spring under the dash and one on the z bar underneath to keep the adjuster snug against the clutch fork.

84K30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Sounds as though you may need to adjust your clutch linkage rod.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
So what if the drawing is for a 'Vette. GM clutches are all pretty much the same.
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Rickf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
1974, 1954 & a 1937
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
My '74 has a ginormous clutch return spring under the dash, not sure if this helps your setup.

Juggernaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
You should have 2 springs on your clutch z-bar. One short spring from the z-bar to the clutch fork, and one fairly long spring from an L-bracket mounted on the clutch fork back to the frame (usually a hole at the engine mount). I have headers and I had to get creative to attach the return spring. There was no straight path through the headers to run the spring to the engine mount on my 78.

Strick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Crew
Engine Size
My 79 C20 has over 400K miles and the clutch pedal does not return very far either. My dad actually has an "engineered" bracket with a coil spring on the frame by the Z-bar to push the pedal back to return. The clutch pedal also goes a bit left when depressed so I've gotten an entire pedal assembly from another truck and hope to replace all the worn stuff here soon.

Strickland

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL