1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

M&M (or my 77 C30)

Discussion in '2wd Pick-Ups C/R 20 2500 C/R 30 3500' started by ScottyB, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Rollin_Thunder

Rollin_Thunder Full Access Member

First Name:
    Robert
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K30 SRW
    Engine Size:
    I like your build idea ScottyB. I have an 86 with a 454 and it's a blast to drive. I just did a tune up yesterday and I can tell a difference already. Some of those plugs looked like hell and the plug wires were falling apart. Either way I'll be watching your build and maybe stealing ideas from your work.

2. ScottyB

ScottyB Full Access Member

First Name:
    Scott
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    phantom
    Engine Size:
    2 squirrels
    Hope you aren't in a hurry. I'm still trying to plan out the build and then there is the matter of accumulating the parts. I have parts of the power train I can do in increments but there is a big chunk I want to do all at once.

I really don't have a clear plan on the body though. I'm working on it though. The part that scares me about the body is I need to do the interior at the same time because I plan on changing the color. I'm also working on an idea for a custom dash pad. I want to add extra gauges and need to create the location for those. Having seen the thread here on the drink holders, I'm playing with an idea to include that in the dash pad.

A complete rewire is in order as well. My current fuse block scares the hell out of me with all the patchwork of added circuits. There are all kinds of splices that don't make sense. I've recently lost my backup lights and dome light (not the same circuit, of course). This is something I figure is best done once I've stripped the interior though.

I figure if I'm lucky I'll have this project done about 3 weeks after I get my 2nd hand Jetson's flying car, so it shouldn't take too long, right?

3. ScottyB

First Name:
    Scott
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    phantom
    Engine Size:
    2 squirrels
    Body work?

So when it comes to the body I have said I don't have a clear picture of what I want to do. That doesn't mean I don't know some of what I have to do. The hood is an obvious place to start with replacement parts. I'll probably go with a stock hood but I do like the looks of a cowl induction hood. There is the usual cancer in the usual places. Nothing real bad (that I have found anyway) but for 35 years old in the PNW I can't complain. I figure the usual kits will take care of that problem. The inner fenders are shot and need to be replaced as do the battery boxes. They hold, but I don't want to trust them long term. If I pull the A/C I'll need to patch up the firewall as well. That one actually scares me a bit and I'm afraid to clean that for what I might find there. I'll worry about that when I pull the engine though.

The back end of the truck is where I am stuck. I like stepsides, but am not a big fan of the square body steps especially for the long beds. I may just clean up what I have and prep for paint but I am a bit frustrated with the bedlinner job that was done to it. It made sense for a farm truck but I don't need the liner coming down over the outside of the rail. I'm playing with the idea of converting it to a flatbed with a nice stake side detail.

I have the dual tank setup and like having that capacity, but I am thinking of modifying it so I can fill both tanks from one side. I know it isn't that big a deal but it is one of those little things that makes life that much easier.

The front bumper is in pretty good shape and I will probably stay with that, unless I decide to slap a winch on there. I don't need one, just always wanted one. :shrug: I could do better with the back bumper but I don't know how I want to go there.

I want to go with LED lights throughout inside and out. I like that they are brighter and last longer.

For paint, I think I want to do a two tone job, but more along the lines of the 60's where the contrasting color was on the upper part of the cab. That will make painting easier and it is a look that I like. Currently I am thinking a red under a light tan. It has a kind of classic feel while still being a bit unique.

4. ScottyB

First Name:
    Scott
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    phantom
    Engine Size:
    2 squirrels
    Now that I have a couple vehicles running reliably I am hoping to get back to working on M&M (I may have to rename it if I ever get the chance to paint it). I have managed to correct the original brake issues. I also cut out the overload springs it had. I can still feel it when I run over a dime, I just can't tell if it is heads or tails anymore. I did a cheap tune on it and it runs better than it used to.

I'm thinking my next move will be under the hood. In the near term I am going to do a new dizzy. That should help with my cold starts. I am hoping that this spring I can pull the engine. This will be bittersweet. I get to rebuild it and that will be fun but I won't be able to drive it until the rebuild is done. Given my budget, that will probably take a year. My plans while it is out? Rebuild heads, replace cam, replace timing chain with gear drive, replace oil pump, strip and clean block. I will attempt to reuse the pistons and rotating assembly but no guarantees on that until we see the condition. Water pump will be replaced and I want to upgrade to electric fan and get rid of the fan clutch and mechanical fan. With the engine out I want to address the rot under the hood and clean that mess up. I may also take this time to replace the wiring throughout. I'm also thinking about replacing the fuel tanks at this time and converting to electric fuel pump. If I can figure out how to do it, I'll convert to a single large tank and replace the fuel lines at the same time.

That's a long list and probably far from complete for what I should do while I have the engine out but it is the start anyway. I may try to handle some of the cancer on the body while I am going through this but it isn't the priority. I may also pull the tranny as I have a buddy that can rebuild it. This won't be my ultimate ideal power train, but it will do for now.

My question for now is what do I do for a cam? When it goes back together, all the emissions crap will be sitting in a pile in the corner. I'm hoping for a cam that will help me with overall performance in a carbuerated engine. The carb is the original qjet and I may go back to an electric choke (I went to a manual choke when I did the carb rebuild). I need to study up more on the qjet to see if I can understand it better. I hear what a great carb it is IF you understand it. So I have a carbed 454 ahead of a TH400 and 4.11 gears. I've been looking at Comp Cams but I'm too much noob to be able to make sense out of all the options. Of course, if I like the way it runs after I put the new dizzy in I may leave it running and pull the engine in the fall. That will give me a nice little project over the winter.

5. ScottyB

First Name:
    Scott
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    phantom
    Engine Size:
    2 squirrels
  6. ScottyB

First Name:
    Scott
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    phantom
    Engine Size:
    2 squirrels
    Before...as required.

Ok, time to post some before pictures. This will be a slow build (cosmically slow it seems) and some work has been done but I figured I would add some more pictures to document the mostly before. It is obviously in need of a bath after having sat outside all winter.
    20140406_182913_zpslkgcnbbc.jpg
    0f7e0560-5005-4db1-adb5-8618e2ceaabc_zps11074a97.jpg
    20140406_183026_zpsbmezjtjx.jpg
    Just a few of the front and rear.

20140406_183047_zpscddrykqc.jpg
    20140406_183001_zpsr9yarles.jpg
    Both Cab corners look good.

20140406_183054_zps2olp1uq8.jpg
    20140406_182950_zpsqufsjkye.jpg
    Back side of the front wheel wells need some help though.

20140406_183218_zpsgtnge24b.jpg
    20140406_182921_zpstrtdlmaz.jpg
    Hood isn't quite right, think anyone will notice?

20140406_182936_zps2ttvgm1n.jpg
    20140406_182939_zpsuby3ndtu.jpg
    The rest of the body is in pretty good shape.

20140406_183143_zpsvwulpa0d.jpg
    20140406_183126_zpswpqnswgl.jpg
    20140406_183149_zps27urv0n5.jpg
    The interior isn't bad either.

20140406_183254_zps7tfmazhb.jpg
    20140406_183304_zpsonpy6gs6.jpg
    Under the hood doesn't look great but it runs. It doesn't show but the left inner fender is seriously rotted out.

7. Mr Clean

Mr Clean Full Access Member

First Name:
    Shawn
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 82 2WD Blazer
    Engine Size:
    454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
    Welcome back, haven't seen you in awhile. Truck don't look bad at all. You definitely need to clean up the engine bay. Lol good starting point. Take more pics, you know how we are!

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk

8. ScottyB

First Name:
    Scott
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    phantom
    Engine Size:
    2 squirrels
    In fairness, I'm here every day. I just don't post much. With spring here I'm really itching to get some stuff done even if it is just some of the small stuff. I'm thinking I may pop off the valve covers and air cleaner and clean em up and give em a new shot of paint. It isn't much but it is something and it won't cost much to get done. I'm also thinking I'll open up the diff and drain the 35 year old (I'll bet) fluid.

With an unknown maintenance history on the TH400, I'm not sure if I should chance changing the fluid or not. I've heard horror stories of tranny fluid changes when they weren't regularly maintained. I'd hate to change the fluid and have to turn around and rebuild it right away.

9. datto62073

datto62073 Full Access Member

First Name:
    Mark
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K25
    Engine Size:
    Beautiful truck! She's in alot better shape than mine. I want your dash bezel though. I am trying to upgrade mine sorta.

10. ScottyB

First Name:
    Scott
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    phantom
    Engine Size:
    2 squirrels
    Thanks, It's hard to get too critical of the truck when I see what some of you have to start with. Trust me though, you don't want that bezel. I've had it off and I think if it comes off again it won't go back on. It is in pretty poor shape, it just doesn't look it.

11. bucket

bucket Super Moderator Staff Member

First Name:
    Andy
    Truck Year:
    '77, '78, '79, '84, '88
    Truck Model:
    K5 thru K30
    Engine Size:
    350-454
    The correct '77 bezel is very difficult to find. Even if it's not the best, you still have a nice piece.

And I must say, I like your truck very much!

12. SlickGTP

SlickGTP Full Access Member

First Name:
    John
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    C10
    Engine Size:
    I wish I had that truck to start with... :)

13. ScottyB

First Name:
    Scott
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    phantom
    Engine Size:
    2 squirrels
    Well, that gives me something to think about. What can be done to rehabilitate the bezel? It is tearing out around the mounting holes. The face of it is in pretty good shape but the mounting holes are a bit rough.

14. ScottyB

First Name:
    Scott
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    phantom
    Engine Size:
    2 squirrels
    Ok, yesterday's plans were to take the truck down to work and hit it with the hot water pressure washer. I did one of the work trucks then did my daily driver. I got called out on a tow since I was there and that cut into my truck cleaning time. After the tow I finished with my DD and finally started on M&M. The plan was to pressure wash it all around, hit it with soap and water and give it a good rinse, then I was going to hit under the hood with the pressure washer.

That didn't happen. It took over an hour to do the initial pressure wash. Never even got to the soap. :( I did get it pretty clean though, hot water kicks ass. I made a couple decisions though. When I do the body work on this truck the molding will go away. It is in pretty good shape (except for a couple places where I started to take the paint off the trim, ooops) but it is a royal pain in the ass around here. I live out in the pine tress. The molding collects all that tree crap behind it and it does not come out easy.I could probably spend another 3 hours using the pressure washer on the trim and still not get all the crap out from behind it.

Stripes are sounding like a much better idea.

15. Stewzer55

Stewzer55 Full Access Member

First Name:
    Stew
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    R30
    Engine Size:
    350 TBI
    Solid start, Honestly you would be better off with a 4L80e in my opinion anyway and be able to get about 15 mpg just from the addition of the OD gear