1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

M&M (or my 77 C30)

Discussion in '2wd Pick-Ups C/R 20 2500 C/R 30 3500' started by ScottyB, Aug 28, 2013.

1. ScottyB

ScottyB Full Access Member

First Name:
    Scott
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    phantom
    Engine Size:
    2 squirrels
    20130303_074811_zps436c3622.gif

This is my 77 C30. I don't know a bunch about the history of this but when I got it a year ago it had 105k original miles on it. It was a second (or more) hand truck for the lady I bought it from. Her understanding is that it was mostly a farm truck before she bought it. That would tell me it either was sitting or working hard, not a lot of middle of the road there. Depending on the farmer, it was either well maintained or just looked at when something broke. I lean toward the latter. The lady I bought it from didn't use it often, usually just to get a few loads of firewood in the summer and a couple spring cleaning dump loads in the spring. In summery, I think it spent more time sitting than anything else, at least in the last decade.

It has the 454 with the original Qjet and after some tune-up work (not nearly enough) it will pass anything but a gas station. I'm not looking to make this a hotrod but I'll admit that having a truck that will move like that is fun.

It has a new battery, alternator and starter as all three of these had issues when I took possession. It has new plugs and wires and cap and rotor. It really needs a new distributor but we'll get to that.

When I took possession, I knew that there was a small issue with the brakes. The issue was that only the front right brake worked. New brake hoses up front and a new master cylinder and it now stops on a dime and gives 9 cents change. Power steering hoses were leaking a bit so we planned on replacing them... right up until one started hosing down my buddy. New hoses led to a new pump. Steering is good now...Almost. It needs an alignment but there is more to that then I am ready for.

When I got it, the truck would flood very easily. Upon further examination we determined that the float didn't. A rebuild kit and bunch of cleaning later it works much better. I'm not convinced it is set properly but it works fairly well and I get about 12MPG with it now.

It also came with overload springs so you could drive over a dime and tell if it was heads or tails. I cut those out and the ride is much better.

The AC Compressor was removed years ago. I have since removed the condenser. I really don't plan on putting AC back into this truck. In NW Washington it can be nice but it really isn't necessary. It will also help keep things cleaner under the hood. I also replaced the defrost fan. It didn't work and I had to use a portable fan for defrost. Now I have heat and fan and life is good there.

That pretty much sums up what I have done to this truck so far.

2. MrMarty51

MrMarty51 Full Access Member

First Name:
    Martin
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K20
    Engine Size:
    Thats nice, good looking unit too.

3. ScottyB

First Name:
    Scott
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    phantom
    Engine Size:
    2 squirrels
    Thanks Marty, but what I have done is only the tip of the iceberg. When I look at what is left I keep thinking that I need to lift the hood, remove the radiator cap, go to the dealer, and ask for something that fits that cap.

Speaking of radiator, mine is shot. Someone ran some leak stop through it and when I removed the AC Condenser I saw that the leak stop is showing through on every joint on the radiator. Not sure if I will have it re-cored or if I will just replace it, but I am leaning toward replace. At the same time I am leaning toward replacing the water pump and heater core and the hoses.

As long as I am up front, let's talk alignment. I figure if I'm lucky I just need to replace every bushing, shocks and springs. If I'm not, I'll have to rebuild the whole shooting match. There is no point in taking it in for an alignment until that is done. As long as I am doing the front shocks I may as well do the rear. It's only money, right?

Before I address those issues though I believe I need to deal with the doors. The right door has a tear in the sheet metal right above (and maybe behind) the top hinge. I'm hoping to pull the door and fix the tear. I hope that will fix the alignment problem in that door so it will close properly. I then will change out the door seals on both sides. I need to figure out how to keep the water out when it rains. This truck has a carpet floor, I'm not sure who thought this would be a good idea for a truck but I have never been a fan of carpet for a truck. Eventually that will change.

That will address the most immediate needs to keep this ride road worthy.

Next I will have some decisions to make as to what I want to do with the truck long term...

4. Tyger13us

Tyger13us Full Access Member

First Name:
    Jeff
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    k10
    Engine Size:
    450hp/357cid
    So? im going to be polite........

what do ya want for it is for sale????????????

my sister lives up there that way and needs a nice truck.........??

5. ScottyB

First Name:
    Scott
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    phantom
    Engine Size:
    2 squirrels
    It isn't for sale, at least not yet. I love having a vehicle that I don't HAVE to put the pedal to the floor to do anything. My current daily driver is a 97 Ford Ranger with a 4 cylinder that I need to floor to go uphill. The goal is to figure out how to turn this into a daily driver.

6. ScottyB

First Name:
    Scott
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    phantom
    Engine Size:
    2 squirrels
    So I have now applied the PEX door fix and was blown away. The night I did that we had a huge rain storm come through and the carpet is still dry, so this has also provided at the very least a short-term solution for my leaking doors. I haven't driven it yet so I don't know about the wind noise but I may test that out today.

Of course the rain reminded me of another deficiency that needs to be addressed soon. The PO let her son borrow the truck for a while and he hit a stop sign. The sign twisted and cut the hood like an axe. That is why the hood has the off-colored patch in it. When he fixed it though, he took out all the wiper fluid plumbing. For now I will probably just throw in a cheap universal kit to get something working there.

7. 89Suburban

89Suburban Full Access Member

First Name:
    Paw Paw
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    Chevrolet Tahoe LT
    Engine Size:
    5.3, 4WD
    Welcome aboard Scott. I like the colors on it. Might want to think about getting a heater/defrost only setup to stick under the dash and make it even more un cluttered and simple. That will be my plans once my AC takes a shit. I got everything sitting on the side ready to install and it only cost me 20 bucks at pull a part.

8. Mr Clean

Mr Clean Full Access Member

First Name:
    Shawn
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 82 2WD Blazer
    Engine Size:
    454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
    Welcome Scott, I think your doing the right thing, picking your battles, and fixing them. Just a thought, If you want to put A/C back in, I think I have everything you need, That you can have just pay for shipping.

9. ScottyB

First Name:
    Scott
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    phantom
    Engine Size:
    2 squirrels
    I appreciate the offer, Mr Clean. I will certainly take that into consideration. A/C isn't a huge necessity up here but it still nice to have. I'm trying to decide if I want to go back to A/C at some point or if I want to clean up under the hood and ditch it altogether. I haven't really decided what I want to do with the interior yet and that will certainly play into my final decision.

10. MrMarty51

MrMarty51 Full Access Member

First Name:
    Martin
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K20
    Engine Size:
    While You have the water pump off, it might be a good idear to pull that timing cover and take a peek at them sprockets/chain and front cranking shaft seal.

11. ScottyB

First Name:
    Scott
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    phantom
    Engine Size:
    2 squirrels
    Since you mention the timing chain, I guess I'll continue with my plans. I would really like to turn this into an affordably driven daily driver. Ok, ok, stop laughing now. I know that a 454 and TH400 do not lend themselves to fuel economy. That doesn't mean I don't want to try. I was originally thinking of converting to a TBI but I'm now thinking about converting to a Holley Avenger EFI system. Combining this with a mild cam and new heads should give me an improvement in fuel economy. Of course, I may as well do the bottom end while I'm at it. I don't have a specific plan for that other than to make sure everything is solid. Obviously this is when I would be fixing the leaking rear main. While I'm at it I'll convert the timing chain to gear drive. I'm not looking for something over the top but I would change the distributor here also. This should fix the suspected oil leak here as well as improve performance over the tired distributor I have now.

I have the goal of greater fuel economy but I still want to be able to haul a heavy load on the rare (once or twice a year) occasion that I need to do so. The TH400 is great for the load, but not so much for economy. I am playing with several ideas here. One of which is to keep the TH400 and put a Gear Vendor behind it. This would not only give me overdrive, but allow me to split gears and keep the RPM range between shifts smaller. Another idea is to go with an overdrive tranny. I originally thought a 700R4, but many have said this would not be a good choice. This tranny isn't considered to be heavy duty enough to put behind a 454. It also has a rather large RPM range between first and second. I'm not too concerned with the heavy duty aspect here but I would like to keep the RPM swings smaller. The 4L80E has also been suggested. My understanding is that this is basically an electronic version of the TH400 with OD. This may be a good way to go. I may even go with a combination of an OD transmission and Gear Vendor giving me a double OD and smaller RPM swings. Whichever way I go I will probably keep the 4.11 rear that is already in place.

Obviously there is the money aspect involved here but I am also concerned with what I will need to do with the gauge cluster to make that work. This is part of the project I am not sure of yet. I haven't put a lot of thought into the interior yet and that is what I consider the gauge cluster to be. :signs8:

This is very quickly becoming the very definition of "scope creep" as one thing leads to another. Admittedly, many aspects of this can be done as stand alone projects and many of them will be done that way. Some of them will have to happen in conjunction with others though and figuring all that out is going to be half the challenge. I haven't even begun to cover the cosmetic aspects of this or things like fuel and exhaust.

Are we having fun yet? :hidesbehindsofa:

12. Mr Clean

First Name:
    Shawn
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    Engine Size:
    454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
    I don't even know were to start...........lets start off with DAMN........holley efi 2600, new heads 1200, never mind labor, I thought you said affordable! I use to know the owners of Gear Venders, I think going with a 4 speed 4l80 would be your cheaper route. Thought about re-gearing, and keeping the TH400. IMO you can never go wrong with gear drive, I run it in everyone of my SB, I do run the quite kind, because the load kind tend to get on my nerves. Just do what you have been doing pick one project at a time. sometimes you'll have to upgrade something else do to a previous project.

When I put my 396 in my Jimmy, I found out real quick, I was replacing axles with something more heavy duty, that's why my Jimmy has 3/4 ton suspension.

13. ScottyB

First Name:
    Scott
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    phantom
    Engine Size:
    2 squirrels
    Fair enough, I wasn't clear on what I meant. When I am done with the build I want it to be affordable to drive. I was never under the illusion that the build itself would be cheap. As I can, I am willing to spend the money to get where I want to go with the build. Does that make more sense?

14. Mr Clean

First Name:
    Shawn
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    Engine Size:
    454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
    Yeah...........We on the same page now........Hell yes, throw some money at her. Still with a BBC you will never see 25MPG. LOL

15. ScottyB

First Name:
    Scott
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    phantom
    Engine Size:
    2 squirrels
    While I agree that 25 MPG isn't likely, I do have a goal to see how close I can get. I figure with some work I can get a couple decades out of it (unless my son wraps it around some tree somewhere). I figure if I can get it to 20 MPG I won't feel so bad about using it as a daily driver. If I get close, screw it, I can handle a bit of guilt. Best would be pissing off the greenies that have no idea what the truck is doing. We have an abundance of those up here.

While many wouldn't be able to drive it that way I am thinking that my driving style will go a long way toward it. I figure it will take me around 5 years to get the project done (if I'm lucky). I'd rather take the time to get it set the way I want than half-ass it. I just need to figure out what I want. Of course that damned interweb doesn't help by showing you every freaking possibility in the world. :throw: