Ls4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gr8HallaFamer

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1500
Engine Size
5.3 '67 327
Will the Ls4 that came in the Pontiac Grand Prix GXP, Impala SS and Monte Carlo SS "all front wheel drive" fit in an 80's square body pick-up? Or does the front wheel drive make it a different style engine.

Last edited:

Gr8HallaFamer

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1500
Engine Size
5.3 '67 327
Big block would be nice I'm sure but also gas hog too. I have in it a old 327 i built back in the day. I see all people doing LS swaps so got the thinking about it too. Get big HP and while getting good gas mpg makes sense. Anyway I have an Ls4 from a front wheel drive car just not sure if it would go with my truck. I have an 87 swb.

Charlie

Mopar by Birth. Chevy by Choice.
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size
350/TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
:welcome:

gotyourgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
gotyourgoat
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
smokin' 305
Will the Ls4 that came in the Pontiac Grand Prix GXP, Impala SS and Monte Carlo SS "all front wheel drive" fit in an 80's square body pick-up? Or does the front wheel drive make it a different style engine.
Yes it will fit. Of course damn near any engine will fit in a square's engine bay.

There are a few obstacles though.

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
The block is drilled for FWD trans applications so a RWD 4L60E would require an adapter. I think you can use a V6 RWD 4L60E, though. With that said you may be able to use any trans that was behind a 60 degree V6 engine (3800, 3400, etc.)
The front accessory drive is completely different and I dont know if RWD accessories would swap.
The water pump is some sort of alien device and I dont know if a RWD pump would swap.
The starter was mounted to the trans so the block does not have a provision to mount one. Something would need to be fabbed.

It can be done but will cost time and money. If you can get the engine, ecu, and harness for free or dirt cheap then it may be worth looking into. Otherwise I would go with a RWD based LS.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The block is drilled for FWD trans applications so a RWD 4L60E would require an adapter. I think you can use a V6 RWD 4L60E, though. With that said you may be able to use any trans that was behind a 60 degree V6 engine (3800, 3400, etc.)
The front accessory drive is completely different and I dont know if RWD accessories would swap.
The water pump is some sort of alien device and I dont know if a RWD pump would swap.
The starter was mounted to the trans so the block does not have a provision to mount one. Something would need to be fabbed.

It can be done but will cost time and money. If you can get the engine, ecu, and harness for free or dirt cheap then it may be worth looking into. Otherwise I would go with a RWD based LS.

The big issue is the block has no provision for a starter, it mounts to a specific trans case used with the fwd V8 cars.

Could it be used? Yes. But it's one of those situations where it would be FAR more complicated and expensive to use something just because you already have it.

gotyourgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
gotyourgoat
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
smokin' 305
Been a while since I looked into this but crispy is right.
The accessories are not interchangeable so you have to stick with the fwd versions. Multiple output shafts are shorter so adapters and whatnot are needed. The real issue is the starter is in the trans on the fwd and the mounts for the engine/trans are completely different than the rwd versions.

Gr8HallaFamer

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1500
Engine Size
5.3 '67 327
I do have engine, ECU and harness. But if it's going to be complicated and parts needing fabricated I may not go with it. I'll try and pick up a RWB Ls if one comes about. Thanks for inputs and advise everyone. Truck is running so not in any hurry

gotyourgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
gotyourgoat
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
smokin' 305
I do have engine, ECU and harness. But if it's going to be complicated and parts needing fabricated I may not go with it. I'll try and pick up a RWB Ls if one comes about. Thanks for inputs and advise everyone. Truck is running so not in any hurry
@bucket could use that fwd ls for his eurosport if you're looking to barter...

Gr8HallaFamer

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1500
Engine Size
5.3 '67 327
No I'm not going to sell it. I'll probably try to find and Impala SS broke down put it in that and flip it

TPISly-C10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sly
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 shortbox
Engine Size
LQ4 6.0L
i found a 2004.5 LQ4 6L a the junkyard for $500 tax in and i all ready got all the other part i need from a donor truck (4L80E 2wd ecu harness ect....) so easy to swap in and with just a little tune to get it running proprely put down 350hp i just love it no regret my ex Diesel! :)

You must be registered for see images attach

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
i found a 2004.5 LQ4 6L a the junkyard for $500 tax in and i all ready got all the other part i need from a donor truck (4L80E 2wd ecu harness ect....) so easy to swap in and with just a little tune to get it running proprely put down 350hp i just love it no regret my ex Diesel! :)

Anything different you have to do to run the LS coolant overflow tank with the squarebody radiator? First time I've seen that. Usually see the square rad with square overflow or an LS sealed radiator with the LS overflow.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
No I'm not going to sell it. I'll probably try to find and Impala SS broke down put it in that and flip it

I think this Lumina is begging for an LS4. It looks to be super clean too.

gotyourgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
gotyourgoat
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
smokin' 305
I think this Lumina is begging for an LS4. It looks to be super clean too.

Apparently there are only 25 of those. From the Earnhardt dealership.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
83elcowes