Lowering my 1977 Shortbed and found

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1977ShortWide

Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Well I’m almost done with the LS6.0/4l80 swap. I’m just waiting for the back ordered exhaust. Started looking at the height I wanted to lower it and found 4.5“ in front and 4” in the rear would be level and a height I like. That sounded like the rear was lower than normal already. So I started looking. Attached are pictures of the rear springs. I assume is isn’t normal? Did it get over loaded or maybe someone heated them to lower it? Anyone seen this before?

-Jeff

Attachments

• 16DA8FBA-3B7B-41D6-9616-3F65C12A1A60.jpeg
    16DA8FBA-3B7B-41D6-9616-3F65C12A1A60.jpeg
    92.8 KB · Views: 136
  • 1605A6C4-F981-44A7-8022-589EC2A2E262.jpeg
    1605A6C4-F981-44A7-8022-589EC2A2E262.jpeg
    53 KB · Views: 134
  • 919FBA65-6B3B-413B-81A2-7F1B55D2F294.jpeg
    919FBA65-6B3B-413B-81A2-7F1B55D2F294.jpeg
    143.3 KB · Views: 137

1979 c20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rat
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Oh boy, a fools lowering kit. Ditch the springs and do it right with proper spring front mount and appropriate shackle.
That's some sketchy chit right there. You are correct questioning that.

1977ShortWide

Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Thanks 1979 c20 I figured that was the case. I purchased the truck as a shell. Glad I never drove it that way. anyone have a recommendation for the replacement springs. I assume I will need to do a axle flip to match the CCP modular 2.5” drop springs and 2” drop coils I have on order.

1979 c20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rat
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
There's a guy up in Battleground who is on FB that sells square parts that might be able to help get a set easy peasy. Oregon Auto Spring can set you up too, but at a new price. There are guys on here who are helpful too, maybe they can help you get a set, but shipping is the killer, road trip? Shop around and see what is out there, and let us know how it goes.

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I did a similar drop...2.5, Modular, 2" spring and flipped rear.

I bought new stock 52" springs for roughly $330 shipped from either RA or SD Spring. However, if I had to do it again, I would have spent a few more and bought 56". In theory, a longer spring would be a better ride. I really don't know if that would work or not on a SB but the frame has the holes and don't see anything that would interfere.

Rather then a flip kit that adds parts and can come loose, I believe you are better off buying some $15-20 perches and welding them on bottom and cutting off the stock. It's cheaper, cleaner, simple, and works like factory.

Something else I wish I did not use was shock extenders. If I could redo, I'd cut off shock mounts and weld on different ones.

1977ShortWide

Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I finished my spring replacement and lowering this week. Used CCP Modular spindles with 2” drop springS and a axle flip in the back. Also picked up the headache rack for $100.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited by a moderator:

94_6SpeedZ

Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I finished my spring replacement and lowering this week. Used CCP Modular spindles with 2” drop springS and a axle flip in the back. Also picked up the headache rack for $100.

Which brand lowering springs did you use (I don't know if it matters)? I have the CPP Modular drop spindles also, but I cut the original springs down some and it's not enough. Not sure I want to cut more. Yours sits perfect.

Thanks,
-Greg

1977ShortWide

Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Which brand lowering springs did you use (I don't know if it matters)? I have the CPP Modular drop spindles also, but I cut the original springs down some and it's not enough. Not sure I want to cut more. Yours sits perfect.

Thanks,
-Greg
Greg,

The springs were from CPP.

FCS6102-2 63-87 CHEVY TRUCK FRONT COIL SPRINGS 2" DROP (PR)

-Jeff

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
Not trying to be picky, but that's a ladder rack/roof rack. A headache rack is when you see the steel bars covering the rear windshield (sometimes also called a back rack), like so if you're hauling something in the bed and it shifts forward it won't bust through the window and hit you in the head.

That does look like a badass heavy duty roof rack though I like it! I have something similar on my '08 2500 W/T, is 1t 1.5" welded square tube? That looks like it belongs on a 1 ton or a lifted 3/4 ton. Hah, if you ever had a load heavy enough to need a rack that sturdy on the roof of a lowered C10 I bet it wouldn't even drive anywhere lol. Pretty interesting setup you got going on, definitely one of a kind. Super heavy duty up top, less than the lightest of duty for the truck itself. Interesting

Last edited:

1977ShortWide

Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Not trying to be picky, but that's a ladder rack/roof rack. A headache rack is when you see the steel bars covering the rear windshield (sometimes also called a back rack), like so if you're hauling something in the bed and it shifts forward it won't bust through the window and hit you in the head.

That does look like a badass heavy duty roof rack though I like it! I have something similar on my '08 2500 W/T, is 1t 1.5" welded square tube? That looks like it belongs on a 1 ton or a lifted 3/4 ton. Hah, if you ever had a load heavy enough to need a rack that sturdy on the roof of a lowered C10 I bet it wouldn't even drive anywhere lol. Pretty interesting setup you got going on, definitely one of a kind. Super heavy duty up top, less than the lightest of duty for the truck itself. Interesting
RecklessWOT,

Thanks for the clarification. I heard the term headache rack used incorrectly as a kid and never really thought about it... It's a sturdy rack that I will use very little on this truck other than long boards from time to time. I plan on fabricating a removeable front bumper rack thing also. Not sure what you call them. I need to haul a couple 16 and 20 foot 2x6's. I have a cabin with a deck that needs some work. Mostly this rack will end up next to the shop but the price was right. :)

-Jeff

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
RecklessWOT,

Thanks for the clarification. I heard the term headache rack used incorrectly as a kid and never really thought about it... It's a sturdy rack that I will use very little on this truck other than long boards from time to time. I plan on fabricating a removeable front bumper rack thing also. Not sure what you call them. I need to haul a couple 16 and 20 foot 2x6's. I have a cabin with a deck that needs some work. Mostly this rack will end up next to the shop but the price was right. :)

-Jeff
Oh man that'll be perfect. The rack itself will hold WAYYY more than that, but at least you never have to worry about overloading the rack itself, just maybe the truck lol. Super overkill on a truck like yours, but I'd personally rather have something too strong than too weak, one less thing to worry about. You can haul all the lumber you want and it won't buckle, just make sure it doesn't rub and you'll be A-okay

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
Also, is that your Camaro in the background? More pics of that too please :cool:

That thing looks sweet!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dkorich