lowering / easier entry for 84 C-20

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Ok so I've got an 84 C-20 and I have trouble getting into it. I've got side steps on it that help, but my knees are shot and using the step is helpful but also painful. I'd like to get it a bit closer to the ground, but I need to still be able to haul heavy loads with it. Did I mention I'm on a budget too. So the top of the seat is 36" off the ground, my Jeep is 30", and my dakota 29", I don't have any trouble with those vehicles so I want to get closer to that, but I don't have to go all the way. My first thing, it's currently got 235/85-16 tires on it, I'm thinking of swapping to 235/75-16, that should get me about 2" lower. Now what? Cut a coil off the front for another 2"? That would get the front 4" lower and seat maybe at 32" or so. I don't really want to lower the rear for fear of not being able to haul as much and the truck currently has no rake so I think the 2" on the front is ok. I'm not opposed to replacing the front springs and I'm open to suggestions so long as it's cheap. I'm not really setting a budget, but less is more cost wise. I'm open to ideas and thoughts.

Dmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
It looks like the tire you are looking at is 2" shorter, so it will drop you by 1" , not two. You can pull the front tire, then lower the jack in one inch increments, until you find a height you are comfortable with, then go from there.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
It looks like the tire you are looking at is 2" shorter, so it will drop you by 1" , not two. You can pull the front tire, then lower the jack in one inch increments, until you find a height you are comfortable with, then go from there.
Good idea, one of those why didn't I think of that moments!

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Some more to think about. When you cut a coil off the stock front spring, the spring becomes stiffer. Less coils to compress. Also one coil removed will most likely lower more than 2". Better to invest in a custom coil set. You will also need to space out the upper "A" arms to realign.

For the rear, you could use 2" drop shackles. I lowered my 1982 with a 4/6 slam. To maintain load carrying ability I added air shocks. Just add air when loaded. You could use them or after market air bag kit, the type that mounts on the stock leaf springs. Not too expensive.

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
I can't help but to think of this every time I see your name.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I can't help but to think of this every time I see your name.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
LOL. That is right up my alley sense of humor wise though not the first time I've seen it. It's a little bit Sir Robin from the muppets, and little bit of a play on my real first name and last initial. I can no longer remember why I do it with y though. I use SirRobyn0 all over the place so if your ever on another forum and see that name it's probably me since that name is never taken.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Some more to think about. When you cut a coil off the stock front spring, the spring becomes stiffer. Less coils to compress. Also one coil removed will most likely lower more than 2". Better to invest in a custom coil set. You will also need to space out the upper "A" arms to realign.

For the rear, you could use 2" drop shackles. I lowered my 1982 with a 4/6 slam. To maintain load carrying ability I added air shocks. Just add air when loaded. You could use them or after market air bag kit, the type that mounts on the stock leaf springs. Not too expensive.

I knew cutting a coil would make it stiffer and I'm not against buying new coils which might be better from a time perspective as well since I wouldn't need to take the time to measure and cut the spring. I have had air shocks on a number of vehicles over the years and I'm not opposed to doing that at all, but I'd do individual fills for each shock to avoid air transfer on corners. I have never owned a truck with bags, but I've installed a few and I'm totally disinterested in them. Some folks seem to love the bags, I don't.

I think I'm going install the shorter tires to start with and see what I need to do after that. I may end up with it on the rack at work with the tires off and just fart around with where it is comfortable to get in and out of and go from there.

gotyourgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
gotyourgoat
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
smokin' 305
I knew cutting a coil would make it stiffer and I'm not against buying new coils which might be better from a time perspective as well since I wouldn't need to take the time to measure and cut the spring. I have had air shocks on a number of vehicles over the years and I'm not opposed to doing that at all, but I'd do individual fills for each shock to avoid air transfer on corners. I have never owned a truck with bags, but I've installed a few and I'm totally disinterested in them. Some folks seem to love the bags, I don't.

I think I'm going install the shorter tires to start with and see what I need to do after that. I may end up with it on the rack at work with the tires off and just fart around with where it is comfortable to get in and out of and go from there.
Any updates on lowering this truck?

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Any updates on lowering this truck?
I suppose there is an update of sorts. I'm not going to be lowering it, or at least not anytime soon I should have updated this thread as I abandoned the idea sometime ago. It's not that I wouldn't want it a couple inches lower for the purposes of making it easier to get in and out of, but as I'm sure you know I'm a farmer, and having the ground clearance can be handy, I do tow and haul with the truck. A smaller tire would equal a lower load hauling compacity, and actually I just ordered a set of tires that will be wider but the same height as my current tire for increased traction and load rating. However, I will probably put a set of running board on it when the right set comes along.

Submariner592

Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
the easiest way: I changed my tires to 1/2 ton or 35psi tires. Softer ride by far and lower to the ground.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BryantRiverRat