Lowered C20 Rough Ride

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thirstybob

Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Hello!

Question,I hope someone can shed some light on this. I have a static lowered '74 C20 BBC. I used DJM lowered arms and Western Chassis hangers and shackles. The truck seems to ride OK but when I hit a deep manhole cover at around 40, the suspension seems to take it really hard. I hear a loud impact noise. Even small pot holes get the same reaction. What am I doing wrong? Or should I just get used to it having a modified vehicle? I've check for loose parts, low tire pressure, nothing bent or broken. It doesn't bottom out, just makes the noise. I haven't had it aligned yet.
What ever comments, good or bad are welcome.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
Typical of a lowered vehicle. Have you installed shorter bump stops? That my give you a little more suspension travel.

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
If you are running a low profile tire with large wheel that will also significantly effect your ride quality, and make it ride rough. On a 3/4 ton you should have 10 ply e rated tires which have very stiff sidewalls. A rough ride is per the norm on a unloaded 3/4 ton lowered, lifted or even stock so could just be the nature of the beast, but i personally dont have experience with lowered suspensions.

thirstybob

Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Typical of a lowered vehicle. Have you installed shorter bump stops? That my give you a little more suspension travel.
Thanks for the input. Good idea though.

thirstybob

Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
If you are running a low profile tire with large wheel that will also significantly effect your ride quality, and make it ride rough. On a 3/4 ton you should have 10 ply e rated tires which have very stiff sidewalls. A rough ride is per the norm on a unloaded 3/4 ton lowered, lifted or even stock so could just be the nature of the beast, but i personally dont have experience with lowered suspensions.
No low profile tires. Thanks for your input.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Do you have any witness marks where things are hitting? Also, did you wait to tighten all your suspension components until after the truck was fully on the ground, loaded under it’s own weight?

thirstybob

Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Do you have any witness marks where things are hitting? Also, did you wait to tighten all your suspension components until after the truck was fully on the ground, loaded under it’s own weight?
I did wait to tighten everything under it's own weight. good call. I need to heck for witness marks. Thanks for the suggestion.

ali_c20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alexander
Truck Year
1974, 1979
Truck Model
C20, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
My c20 isn't lowered and rides rough without load. The old rock hard tires are not helping to improve ride quality :)

Kim Burke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kim
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
I’ve lowered trucks professionally and driven one since my first in 76. These trucks will be choppier lowered but a clank or heavy knock is something bottoming out most likely.
Extended shackles (on the lowest hole) will often allow the spring to come in contact with the bed sill in a bump. The sill should be marked by now. THAT is a hella racket.
If low enough to hit the bump stops, the shocks may be bottoming out as well. A cheap experiment would be cutting the rear bump stops in half with a saws-all. Disconnect the bottom of the shocks temporarily and take for a ride.
The front is probably not the problem with aftermarket a-arms.

thirstybob

Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
I’ve lowered trucks professionally and driven one since my first in 76. These trucks will be choppier lowered but a clank or heavy knock is something bottoming out most likely.
Extended shackles (on the lowest hole) will often allow the spring to come in contact with the bed sill in a bump. The sill should be marked by now. THAT is a hella racket.
If low enough to hit the bump stops, the shocks may be bottoming out as well. A cheap experiment would be cutting the rear bump stops in half with a saws-all. Disconnect the bottom of the shocks temporarily and take for a ride.
The front is probably not the problem with aftermarket a-arms.
Thanks for the reply and the suggestions. I'll give it a shot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rossivey