Lower Steering Column Loose

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sserven

Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
The lower steering column where it attached to the steering shaft has way too much play in it on my 1982 K30. I'm wondering if I'm missing a retainer or something becasuse it looks like there is a bearing that has slid down out of the column. I'm not sure if this column is original to the truck or not since the steering for sure isn't from an 82 but the rest looks of the right era. I got a new lower column bearing from napa that is the piece with all the plastic that is still up in the column but I can't figure out what this lower part is that has worked its way out. All that I've removed so far is the retaining clip and cap that went around the lower column

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

sserven

Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Nevermind. I got the parts out and realized the part I got at Napa is a completely different part. That was confusing the heck out of me. Looks like plastic collar is cracked.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

BRetty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Franklin
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
sserven,

How did your column turn out once you (I am assuming) replaced the parts? My steering column/shaft had exactly the same problem -- the bearing seemed to have slipped down the shaft and the shaft could rattle around in the end of the steering column:

I ordered replacement adapter (white plastic piece) retainer (metal end cap) and retaining ring(s), but replacing the parts left it exactly the same as before. I don't get how the bearing is supposed to support the lower shaft. Is it supposed to be held up in the column assembly by another retaining ring?

Here are the parts I replaced. I will post the results and the relavant GM parts diagram/list next. Hope somebody can shed some light on this

Parts I replaced:

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I have 3 columns i can show for reference. 2 are manual trans no tilt(1 out of vehicle, 1 in), and one is auto and tilt, in vehiclewhat exactly is the play occuring like? maybe an arrow to show the area and direction?

BRetty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Franklin
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Thanks AG, I'll post a pic with the exact problem tomorrow. Appreciate the help, thanks in advance.

BRetty

BRetty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Franklin
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
AuroraGirl,

Here is an annotated picture of my column (BEFORE), along with the parts diagram for this '81 tilt column:

I replaced the parts shown in the post above, (56,58,59,60) but can't get the bearing to slide up any higher on the shaft. It now looks exactly the same as before but with new parts.

My buddy suggested taking the whole column out of the dash and then being able to hammer and tap the bearing up the shaft.

If you have pictures of how this assembly is supposed to install I would be very grateful.

Thanks,
BRetty

BRetty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Franklin
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
PS -- This is a tilt column with automatic transmission. My truck is a '73 but the dashboard is from an '81 Suburban, I think the column and transmission (TH350C) are from that vehicle as well, so an '81 tilt column w/automatic.

Thx,
BR

KingKlung

Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I just recently did this repair on my 1978 Chevy K10 truck. After an hour of trying to put the new parts on the column while still on the truck I pulled the column out. Once I got the column out it took less that 20 seconds to push the new parts to the position where the retainer clip locked it into place. It was so easy that I didn't need to hammer it. I used a large socket to compress the spring.

On another note I replaced the steering shaft with one from a late 1980/early 1990 Jeep Cherokee XJ. This conversion removes the rag joint. I did have to grind a groove to the shaft on the steering column so the bolt could pass through the bolt holes. It has a firmer feel in the steering.

BRetty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Franklin
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I just recently did this repair on my 1978 Chevy K10 truck. After an hour of trying to put the new parts on the column while still on the truck I pulled the column out. Once I got the column out it took less that 20 seconds to push the new parts to the position where the retainer clip locked it into place. It was so easy that I didn't need to hammer it. I used a large socket to compress the spring.

On another note I replaced the steering shaft with one from a late 1980/early 1990 Jeep Cherokee XJ. This conversion removes the rag joint. I did have to grind a groove to the shaft on the steering column so the bolt could pass through the bolt holes. It has a firmer feel in the steering.
KingKlung --

Sorry I missed this when you posted it -- this is exactly the info I was lookingfor!

Yes, it seems pulling out the column is the only real way to do this. I'm gonna act on this As soon as I can get a garage space for a few days so I don't have to do this in the bed of my truck parked on the street! City Life sux sometimes!

Thanks again, I really appreciate it.

BRetty

TPISly-C10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sly
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 shortbox
Engine Size
LQ4 6.0L
you can use a Jeep bearing and bushing too! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Linemanjl