low beam won't come on '02 Nissan Altima

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
My son's '02 Altima has a problem with the right low beam won't come on. I put a new bulb in, still won't work, checked the fuse, there's a low beam fuse for the right low beam, #50 it's good. Both headlamps work on high beam. The only thing is the relay, R7 but there's only one relay for low beam that I presume is for both headlamps, and a relay for high beam, R8. If the low beam relay didn't work then wouldn't both headlamp low beams not come on? The wires are good, no damage. And NO, I did not check for shorts, current to low beam side of plug or any other nonsense with a volt meter. I went through years with that kind of crap with my Honda and there NEVER was anything wrong with the wires. Unless there has been a wreck or some kind of damage to the wiring, there is never anything wrong with the wiring. There's been no hot spots, shorts, NOTHING! There has never been a problem with the wiring to anything in the car, or the lights until this. So don't come at me with, "Did you put a volt meter on it?"

What I want to know is, is there a Left and a Right side low beam wiring inside the low beam relay? That maybe the relay is faulty but only on one side. I can accept that. Now one thing I can do that I didn't do and that is switch relays to see if the light comes on. But it's the high beam relay. Wouldn't it have different properties for the different current for high beams? Different voltage? Why would it be the same relay? In my mind it shouldn't be. So, is it the same?

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
My son's '02 Altima has a problem with the right low beam won't come on. I put a new bulb in, still won't work, checked the fuse, there's a low beam fuse for the right low beam, #50 it's good. Both headlamps work on high beam. The only thing is the relay, R7 but there's only one relay for low beam that I presume is for both headlamps, and a relay for high beam, R8. If the low beam relay didn't work then wouldn't both headlamp low beams not come on? The wires are good, no damage. And NO, I did not check for shorts, current to low beam side of plug or any other nonsense with a volt meter. I went through years with that kind of crap with my Honda and there NEVER was anything wrong with the wires. Unless there has been a wreck or some kind of damage to the wiring, there is never anything wrong with the wiring. There's been no hot spots, shorts, NOTHING! There has never been a problem with the wiring to anything in the car, or the lights until this. So don't come at me with, "Did you put a volt meter on it?"

What I want to know is, is there a Left and a Right side low beam wiring inside the low beam relay? That maybe the relay is faulty but only on one side. I can accept that. Now one thing I can do that I didn't do and that is switch relays to see if the light comes on. But it's the high beam relay. Wouldn't it have different properties for the different current for high beams? Different voltage? Why would it be the same relay? In my mind it shouldn't be. So, is it the same?
I only know modern gm cars comfortably to state for them, but my park avenue wiring is from relay to headlamp, then it piggybacks over to the other headlamp from there under the radiator. I would imagine most cars do this. Well, I should clarify. My park avenue fuses each headlamp separate in the BEC and the relay activates both fuses but the car has a lot of complex contingencies.

I assume you fixed it by now but iut looks like nissan does the same concept, 2 fuses, 1 relay, but the wires may follow a different path. in my car they arent just "piggy{ backed like I suggested, rather they both go to driver headlight but the passenger wires cross over and keep going

i attached both xenon headlight and halogen headlight schematics

Attachments

• xenon.pdf
    70.2 KB · Views: 79
  • Halogen.pdf
    68.1 KB · Views: 88

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84