Losing fuel?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DR-Rockso

Reaction score
First Name
robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyanne/c10
Engine Size
First post, but i have a hopefully easy to fix problem that i could use some help with.
1980-350-dual tank.
when i fill up the truck says full. after i shut it off and it sits for a little bit, i lose roughly 20-30% of fuel in that tank. i dont see any leaks, ive replaced the pump as well. my gauges are digital and it shows % not gallons. just not sure where the fuel could be going. anyone have a lead? thanks in advance.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
20-30% would be around 5 gallons. If there isn't a fuel trail or puddle something else is wrong. Not familiar with digital dash conversions. Someone will be along on that.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
I had a mechanical fuel pump that sprung a leak and was squirting gas directly toward the passenger side exhaust manifold. Everything immediately evaporated, so there were no puddles of fuel, but it was easy to see and smell when the engine was running.

Rickf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
1974, 1954 & a 1937
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Any fuel getting into the oil pan? If not I would question the accuracy of the fuel gauge.

DR-Rockso

Reaction score
First Name
robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyanne/c10
Engine Size
Any fuel getting into the oil pan? If not I would question the accuracy of the fuel gauge.
Not that I can tell. I'll be replacing the Trans seal this weekend and I'll check

DR-Rockso

Reaction score
First Name
robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyanne/c10
Engine Size
I had a mechanical fuel pump that sprung a leak and was squirting gas directly toward the passenger side exhaust manifold. Everything immediately evaporated, so there were no puddles of fuel, but it was easy to see and smell when the engine was running.
So I did replace the fuel pump not too long ago. I guess I should check that as well. Like I said it doesn't go down while I drive, just went it's sitting.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
So I did replace the fuel pump not too long ago. I guess I should check that as well. Like I said it doesn't go down while I drive, just went it's sitting.
If you had 5 gallons of fuel in your oil you'd absolutely know it. If you are in doubt pull the dipstick is it way over full? Somethings up with your gauge or sender

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmattly