Looking for another work truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I'm starting this thread to discuss the positive and negative about certain vehicles that I'll be looking at over the coming weeks to acquire another work truck. I know many have opinions about "overpriced" and/or "overcomplicated" newer trucks. Bear in mind, this will be something that I'm plopping someone else's butt into to drive around to facilitate day to day work/business activities. It has to be easy to drive, safe and reliable. I'll be looking primarily at 2015 or newer gas v8 half tons. Something seemed to have happened around that time where most manufacturers EPA estimated mileage climbed into the high teens city/low twenties highway. I'd prefer a GM product, has to be 4x4.

This first potential truck I'd like pro/con feedback on is a 2016 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT with a Ecotec3 5.3 v8, EPA est. 17city/22highway with approximately 90k miles for $20,000. Anyone with experience with this particular generation of half ton Chevy? Any particular nuances to focus on while test-driving besides the obvious bad noises?

TIA

You must be registered for see images attach

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I’d definitely take an OBD II scanner with you, the best you can justify buying or that you can borrow. I think you’ve mentioned having newer Ford work trucks, and I don’t recall if you’ve had newer GM trucks, but ABS/Stabilitrak issues seem to span the newer vehicles more consistently than anything else so I’d keep an eye out for ABS/parking brake/traction control lights that come out of nowhere and any strange sensations that relate to brakes.

I’d also be mindful of the years and makes/models with that Takata airbag recall just as a general comment. I was working on a Corolla the other day that has to go back to the dealer for a second time to have the passenger airbag assembly replaced because Toyota used faulty parts to replace the Takata unit. The GM Trucks affected are are years 2007-14, and if you you’re looking at something ‘15 MY but made in the Fall of 2014, I’d still check the VIN.

I don’t know if GMT800s are on your radar, but the ‘99-‘03 trucks seem pretty on point looking retrospectively at quality. I know I’m one of the chief “new car haters” on here, but I’d be lying if I told you that those were ****** vehicles. I guess that might be getting up there in age for a newer vehicle. To me, 2003 seems like yesterday some days. I don’t know a whole lot about these newer ones, and I don’t want to pretend to, either, but service history and potential issues related to brake and traction control stuff is what I’d pay attention to the most knowing what little I know.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
I hear mid 80's GM trucks are the ****... cheap too! Easy to fix. Just take it for a drive to make sure there aren't any harmonic vibrations.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I’d definitely take an OBD II scanner with you, the best you can justify buying or that you can borrow. I think you’ve mentioned having newer Ford work trucks, and I don’t recall if you’ve had newer GM trucks, but ABS/Stabilitrak issues seem to span the newer vehicles more consistently than anything else so I’d keep an eye out for ABS/parking brake/traction control lights that come out of nowhere and any strange sensations that relate to brakes.

I’d also be mindful of the years and makes/models with that Takata airbag recall just as a general comment. I was working on a Corolla the other day that has to go back to the dealer for a second time to have the passenger airbag assembly replaced because Toyota used faulty parts to replace the Takata unit. The GM Trucks affected are are years 2007-14, and if you you’re looking at something ‘15 MY but made in the Fall of 2014, I’d still check the VIN.

I don’t know if GMT800s are on your radar, but the ‘99-‘03 trucks seem pretty on point looking retrospectively at quality. I know I’m one of the chief “new car haters” on here, but I’d be lying if I told you that those were ****** vehicles. I guess that might be getting up there in age for a newer vehicle. To me, 2003 seems like yesterday some days. I don’t know a whole lot about these newer ones, and I don’t want to pretend to, either, but service history and potential issues related to brake and traction control stuff is what I’d pay attention to the most knowing what little I know.
I’m wanting to get something under 100k. I’ll keep it to 2016 and newer if the 07-14s may be problematic...

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
The problem I hear about most with the newer GM light duty gas trucks, is the oil consumption issues associated with the variable displacement system. I've never heard as to wether they actually figured it out on the later models of the newer trucks, or if it's just too early to tell.

RoryH19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rory
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado SWB
Engine Size
350 TBI
The concern is cost to maintain. Based on the year and mileage you are purchasing a newer truck but are no longer within factory warranty. Of course a recall (air bag mentioned above) would be covered. If Variable displacement is a concern that can be removed with a tune.
Bring a scanner and read the codes to see if there are any real issues.

Worst outcome is you drive it for a year or 2 and sell. At this point most of the depreciation has occurred.

Personally I purchase new cars without concern. I just research for potential issues.

Good luck.

EvilGenius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Darien
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hello. I own a 2018 LT Silverado 1500 with the 5.3.

Overall they are great trucks. I personally have not had any problems. I frequent another forum for them and have read about some of the issues people have. I'll try to highlight some of my learnings from that. Keep in mind that most people go to the forums like that to complain about their problems. As a result, the ratio of complainers to praisers is a little lopsided. In my experience and reading, the later model year vehicles are better than the early model years and most people have no problems at all. The engine bay is huge and they are pretty easy to work on still.

A/C Condenser: Poor quality on one of the connections. Eventually it breaks and leaks. Bigger problem on older models. There was a part change at some point to an updated version. Many have been replaced under warranty. Do a bit of research on it before your test drive. You should be able to see if it is the old or new condenser design through the grille.

Chevy Shake: on the 1500, the chassis is super stiff. It's fully boxed. This has led to the entire platform essentially being a giant tuning fork. So minor imperfections in the driveline can cause major vibrations. Tons of people have had problems with this and the thing that sucks is there isn't a great solution as lots of things could be triggering the vibration. Definitely test drive the truck over various pavement types. The shake usually is active between 55 and 80 mph. There are plenty of vehicles that don't have issues with this though, so don't be too concerned. Just test it out beforehand.

8 Speed Transmission: Higher trim models (LTZ and High Country) are typically equipped with the 8-speed. There have been issues with some of the shift timing and the torque converter. Supposedly, changing to a different fluid helps this (GM TSB on it) but results have varied. Just stick with the 6 speed. It's the more common transmission in these anyway.

Vacuum Pump and Braking: These engines have Active Fuel Management (AFM). They can turn off 4 cylinders via some oil pressure trickery. (on a side note, change your oil on time with these engines. It is the key to a long life due to the AFM system, it is oil sensitive) Due to the turning off of these cylinders, vacuum is not strong enough for brake boosting. So a vacuum pump is run off the accessory belt. There have been some problems with the vacuum pump. There is currently a recall on it to replace it with a newer design. I'm not sure when the updated design came out. I have it on my 2018 from the factory. Ask about this recall during your test drive.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I’m wanting to get something under 100k. I’ll keep it to 2016 and newer if the 07-14s may be problematic...

I should have clarified about the Takata thing that it’s a recall item. It’s just something to check and an extra nuisance, but I wouldn’t let that be a deal breaker. Sounds like you’ve got some good insight above to go on.

82Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
6.2L
Get a Long box the only real work truck IMO.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I’m tired of looking at stuff. I have search fatigue and other stuff I’d rather be doing. Today I decided I’m just going to get a new Silverado 1500 4x4.

Test drove it.

Ironically it had a vibration at freeway speed, but not the same as my k30. This one was constant and directly correlative to speed. They’re checking it tomorrow. Has to be something simple like tire balance. The truck has 4 miles on it.

If it is good after that, with tax and everything I guess I’ll be $38k poorer...for a stripped 2019 1500 4x4, lol. What’s the world coming to? At least they had a couple 2019s left on the lot or it’d be even worse.

f6john

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have made your decision so this is just for information purposes. I have a 2005 4x4 crew cab with 183,000 miles on the clock. I have owned it for 14 years since it had 8,000 miles. Issues have been varied but many were covered under warranty. Had a scary electrical issue that would cause the truck to die just going down the road which turned out to be a bad relay in the under Underwood power distribution box. Had an issue with leaking rear axle seals that was cause by a blocked axle housing vent. I have had to replace the front bearing hubs on both sides, one side twice in its life thus far. Also under warranty I had to have the exhaust manifolds replaced due to cracking causing a slight exhaust leak.

Now the biggie, at 165,000 I had the transmission rebuilt. It was not shifting properly and the diagnosis was to rebuild or replace. $3500.00 later I’m driving my truck and it starts doing the same thing! Short story, I rebuilt the transmission because I had a battery going bad and not providing enough voltage to properly operate the shift solenoids. But with 165,000 miles on the original trans fluid it sure didn’t hurt to refresh’s things a bit.

Engine wise it has never been touched and still runs great. Everything is just as it came from the factory right down to plugs, wires, hoses, and belts. I do service it regularly with Mobile 1 and filters. I do have a new serpentine belt in the Cadbury that I will change one of these days. Overall I am very happy with the truck and the service it has provided and I intend to keep it indefinitely. It still looks good and has zero rust

Oh, I forgot to mention, my truck is a 2005 Nissan Titan!

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
4-cylinder mode! Lol
You must be registered for see images attach

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
New has warranty. Nice truck purchase.
I was on a much lower budget but needed a vehicle that I could just put people in to do work and ended up with an 07 ford e350 van. Seem to be decent so far. It replaced a gmt400 crew cab which actually had a nicer ride but that turning circle not very useful.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL