looking for advice on lower my truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kgc4160

Reaction score
First Name
kelly
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
ok so heres the question.. im going to lower my truck.. a 3/5 drop..was going to get drop spindles and a rear flip kit.. the prices for spindles are about 250 for the set..ive found that brothers is selling 3 inch lowering springs for 88.00 a pair.. i know i will have to buy lowered shocks.. but i was going to buy new shocks anyway.. just looking for what you guys think.. theres pros and cons either way.. i wont have to worry about wheel offset if i use springs.. but with drop spindles im keeping the geometry stock.. so lets hear some opinions..

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I don't know about a 3/5 kit, but I once bought a frame that had a Belltech kit installed on it. I removed the rear spring hangers. I sold the kit to a guy that seemed to know quite a bit about lowering than me. He said it appeared to be a 2/4 lowering kit and the front springs were just OEM springs that were cut, but whoever did them did them right and they looked good. He bought the rear parts and those springs from me and installed them on his truck and was totally happy with the ride quality and look. Soooo, my point is, YES you can lower the front without buying spindles that then run you into other issues. I just don't know if it'll get you to the 3in drop you're wanting. If you can live with 2/4 it would seem you can get that done on a cheap budget by properly cutting your OEM springs and then just buy the rear hangers and/or shackles for the rear using your standard OEM rear springs. :shrug:

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
I am not a fan of cutting the stock springs, but if you are on a tight budget....it can be done. Imo it is better to just buy and install drop spindles and combo them with a spindle. For a mild 2 inch drop up front...install drop coils. If installing drop spindles (2") your 15" oem rally wheels should clear the lower control arm. It really depends on the manufacturer of the spindles as it is hit or miss as far as clearance. Before I bagged my square, I had McGaughy drop coils and springs and I had clearance...very minor issues with the lower control arm. Roll the dice and see. Either way, coils or spindles or both...I would double check the alignment regardless. With the front end torn down, you may as well replace bushings...hence the alignment as these too will alter the alig ment if badly worn out.

In the back a flip kit will end up close to 6" and you will have a tiny bit (2-3") of axle to frame clearance. If you want closer to 3"...install drop shackles and remove the overload spring from the leaf packs. If installing drop shackes, you may have to cut throught the back bed rail in order to clear the shackle during the suspension cycling. I had to notch my bed rails ...not a big deal, but necessary in some cases.

kgc4160

Reaction score
First Name
kelly
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
i would not be cutting the springs.. either buy brothers 3 in drop springs or go with drop spindles..

84 Shorty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
IMO if you are wanting to do 3/5. I would not go all 3” with drop coil. More than likely you will have to add a spacer or **** load of shims to get the camber right. Do a 2 1/2” drop spindle with 1-2” drop coil and go flip in the back. It will come out more to a 4/6” drop but that’s more bad ass:rockit:

WillSquared

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I’m wondering the same as the OP. I already have the 5” flip kit for the rear. I was going to do spindles until reading of tons of fitment issues with 15” wheels. I’m planning to run 15x8s with 4” backspacing.

I can’t find any 2” spindles, only 2.5-3”. Makes me nervous and wonder if I need to just go for 3” drop coils instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheBeast1990