Long cranking issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BGPick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 2WD
Engine Size
6.2L Detroit Diesel
There are times with my 6.2 when it takes about 5+ of slow counting seconds of cranking before it actually starts. I feel like the engine actually starts faster when it’s cold than when the motor is already warm. Any ideas as to what could be causing this?

There are also times when I “key on” and the glow plug light does not illuminate. This usually happens once the motor is already warmed up a bit. Not sure if that’s a separate issue.

I do have a manual glow plug control knob the previous owner installed on the dash but he said that was only for extra cold days when it needs a little extra kick in the butt.

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
the glow plugs light not illuminating when the engine is warm is normal. however I would go with a totally manual system, much more reliable.

for the long crank times it sounds like you have air in the fuel system. take a piece of clear fuel line like motorcycles use. replace the return line off the IP with the clear line. then run the truck any bubbles in the line indicate air in the fuel system. now the fun part is taking it down. the most common areas are the factory rubber lines cracking from age. another common problem is the rectangular filter. get back to us if you have air bubbles in the return line. highdesertranger

v30

Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V30
Engine Size
the 6.5 starter swap helped me out, before that i almost always used the manual glow plug switch regardless of temp.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pbcasterlin