LockRight Lockers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Anyone ever heard of LockRight differential lockers by PowerTrax? Made by Richmond gear. They are not the strongest locker out there, but for the price, ease of installation and how they perform, if you ever want to lock up your rear diff, you oughta at least consider one of these units. I've been told they are good for up to 350hp, or 35inch tires.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
My favorite part about these units, is even a cave man can install them. You simply remove your spider gears from your open differntial and install this unit in its place. This means no setting up of your Ring and Pinion, and only takes an hour or so to install, then you're ready to go find some water and get every which way put straight when both rear wheels are locked up.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Here are a couple of the Part #'s I am sure of.

14B 10.5in Full Floater uses LockRight Part #1955
14B 9.5in Semi Floater uses LockRight Part #1950

Also keep in mind. These units can only be installed into an open carrier with spider gears. If you have a G80 Gov-Lock Locking Differential for example, this locker will not fit without changing the carrier to an open carrier which does require setting up of ring & pinion.

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
GOOD INFO! I'll have to add that to my long wish list of lower priority items. Gotta get a radiator and A/C fixed first! Oh, and some tires that aren't dry rotting.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
IF you do, be sure to do us a write up and take some pics. We'll get you broke in with some good info. I really want to try one out. They are not for the extremist but they are certainly a great price point and work well for the stocker type vehciles and work leaps and bounds much better than a G80 Gov-Lock Locking Diff, which is what is standard OEM in GM locking diffs.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
I put the Powertrax No-Slip locker in my front 10 bolt recently. Found one brand new in the box on ebay for $300.00. The No-Slip is a quieter version of the Lock-Right, and like the Lock-Right can be used in the front axle if you have disconnect hubs for street use.

Install was a little more involved than expected because I had to pull the axles out 6" to get the spider gears out. That meant the brakes and everything on the ends of the axles come off too. The instructions are very good, this was the first time I had gotten into the guts of a differential but didn't feel like I was in over my head.

The Forest Service has the road closed that I normally use for offroad excursions so at this point I've only driven around in some plowed fields and soft sand. There is a minor amount of torque steer but no worse than any front-wheel drive car, and can be modulated with light throttle application. I had read that some people could hear the locker ratcheting during use but I couldn't hear anything even with the windows down.

It will be a few weeks before I can put it to the test with a full load on steep trails. I usually carry 2000-3000 pounds of people and gear, so I should find out pretty quick if the Powertrax is strong enough for the job.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
:popcorn:

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I've heard them ratchet and sometimes it sounds like something's going very wrong. Most rock crawlers stay away from them because the pins shear relatively easy under any measure of abuse, which is why they sell replacement pin/spring kits. Dont get me wrong, they are good for light wheeling or winter traction, but I wouldnt race, crawl or bog them.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
Actually they'll put up with a fair amount of abuse. I researched them quite a bit before purchase and the Lock-Rights get used by the drag racers with good results. I found posts by guys that run in the 11's using a Powertrax locker.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I put the Powertrax No-Slip locker in my front 10 bolt recently. Found one brand new in the box on ebay for $300.00. The No-Slip is a quieter version of the Lock-Right, and like the Lock-Right can be used in the front axle if you have disconnect hubs for street use.

Install was a little more involved than expected because I had to pull the axles out 6" to get the spider gears out. That meant the brakes and everything on the ends of the axles come off too. The instructions are very good, this was the first time I had gotten into the guts of a differential but didn't feel like I was in over my head.

The Forest Service has the road closed that I normally use for offroad excursions so at this point I've only driven around in some plowed fields and soft sand. There is a minor amount of torque steer but no worse than any front-wheel drive car, and can be modulated with light throttle application. I had read that some people could hear the locker ratcheting during use but I couldn't hear anything even with the windows down.

It will be a few weeks before I can put it to the test with a full load on steep trails. I usually carry 2000-3000 pounds of people and gear, so I should find out pretty quick if the Powertrax is strong enough for the job.

Awesome info. I'll be curious and patiently await your updated review. Let us know. :waytogo: I know I want to put something up front in my 4x4 too. I have been leaning toward locker in the rear, limited slip in the front. C4 mentioned go locker up front too, then just lock in one hub if on snowy pavement, then lock both hubs in off road. That could really work too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
83elcowes