Locking hub install, need advice.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Project79

Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I recently bought Warn 20990 locking hubs to put into my 1979 Chevy k20 10 bolt front end to replace the old Spicer locking hubs that wouldn't turn. Previous owner told me they were junk and needed to be replaced. I got them both installed, the drivers side hub is hard to turn but will turn to lock and the passenger side will go about 3/4 to full lock and then i cant turn it any farther. The previous hubs were completely packed full of grease when i removed them, i cleaned some out and only used the grease that came on the warn hubs which seemed like enough to me. They both had a little play before cap was put on, can anyone tell me how much play they should have? Maybe too much grease? i am stumped as to why they would do this.

This is before.
You must be registered for see images attach

Charlie

Mopar by Birth. Chevy by Choice.
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size
350/TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
:welcome:

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Welcome to the site. What do you mean by play? What was wrong with the originals or were you just going by what the PO thought? Before installing the hubs did you twist them back and forth to check the operation?

If it were me, I would, since you are already there, pull off the rotors and check / repack the inner/outer bearings to make sure there is no dirt in there and the bearings are in good shape. Clean all the parts and light coat the parts as you install them. This way you know all the parts in the hub/rotor are good and issue lies with the locking hub assembly.

Project79

Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
The previous hubs wouldnt turn all the way. I took his word for it that they were shot. I twisted the new ones back and forth and they work fine off the truck. Also the passenger side that wont go past 3/4 will turn all the way if i dont tighten the cap all the way down. By play i mean in the install manual that came with them it says to check for play by installing two of the six bolts and it should move in and out a little bit. They both move a little. Is it possible that bad bearings can cause this?

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
When the new locking hub binds up, have you tried turning the wheel hub to see if it will then lock completely when the parts line up?

Heavy grease is the devil for locking hubs and is most likely the reason the old set wouldn't work.

Project79

Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I will have to give it a try when i get time, if turning it doesnt work I'll have to dig into it and see what i find. Is there anything in particular to look for that would be a sign of something wrong? I appreciate the help.

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
I thought I did a detailed post on how to make the spicer hubs work real easy. I can't seem to find it. I don't want to do it all again. I will keep looking. with a little TLC a five year old can lock/unlock the spicer's. highdesertranger

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laqota