lock plate retaining ring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikeoverland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
250/I6
Well I put my foot into it this time. I was replacing the ignition switch in the basket case last night so I could strt the vehicle with a key verses a flat blade screwdriver. When i finally got the lock plate retainer off it SHOT off of the steering shaft and laneded somewhere in South Texas. Where can i find a replacement for this crappy little piece or will an external retaining ring work? Do I really NEED the lockplate considering that this is a 3 speed column shift and i doubt that it will get stolen.

thanks

Mike

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Without the lock plate, there will be no spring pressure to keep the shaft bearing in place and the steering wheel will end up moving all around.

I'm not sure how well a standard snap ring would work. The proper clip fits down into the lock plate some, which kind of forces the clip to stay in it's groove. They can be bought at the parts store. I've bought them from Napa a few times.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Without the lock plate, there will be no spring pressure to keep the shaft bearing in place and the steering wheel will end up moving all around.

I'm not sure how well a standard snap ring would work. The proper clip fits down into the lock plate some, which kind of forces the clip to stay in it's groove. They can be bought at the parts store. I've bought them from Napa a few times.
I would think any GM column pre air bags and the 94 ish changes damn near should have the same if not very close snap ring thing. if one had a junk car layiung about, that is a decent thing to check too. I dont think OP has generations of **** like either of us(more of yours works lol)

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
I just took apart a column on an 85 the other day at the junk yard. If you can show me which one you need, I probably have it in the box of stuff I got that day.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
You must be registered for see images attach

He meant ignition tumblr not switch, and the wheel has to come off to release the old one he had that probably had a ley snap inside the so the pins were unlocked, and then either grund a small flat to use a screw driver or the screw driver worked on the remnants well enough to turn the truck on. he probablhy wasnt using a steering wheel plate tool like this or his snap ring has some issues.

Rickf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
1974, 1954 & a 1937
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I bought mine new, don't recall which vendor, LMC maybe.

mikeoverland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
250/I6

He meant ignition tumblr not switch, and the wheel has to come off to release the old one he had that probably had a ley snap inside the so the pins were unlocked, and then either grund a small flat to use a screw driver or the screw driver worked on the remnants well enough to turn the truck on. he probablhy wasnt using a steering wheel plate tool like this or his snap ring has some issues.
guilty as charged! i was in a hurry and it was late at night when i decided to put the ignition switch in. i've got enough strenght in my hands to hold the lock plate down so i figured that i didn't need the above pictured tool...... right up to the point that the retaining ring shot off of the steering shaft and landed who knows where. couple of learning lessons here
1. don't rush
2. do install stuff without the proper tools
and
3. don't install stuff at 11pm whenn you are tired, worn out from work and you don't have enough light to see in

mike

mikeoverland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
250/I6
I just took apart a column on an 85 the other day at the junk yard. If you can show me which one you need, I probably have it in the box of stuff I got that day.

(picture stolen from aurora girl) the missing piece in question is the nasty little silver ring that can be seen sitting right under the green center section of the lock plate tool. it is the ring that holds the lock plate down and the spring compressed

mike

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
Being strong is great. Working smarter, not harder, is better. Get the tool if you don't have one, and get the ring, and finish this column project. You will find it is much easier with the tool, as you can work at a better pace, and not need three hands to get the job done.

Edit: I see you covered this in post #7. I had to say it either way.

mikeoverland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
250/I6

things you find in the driveway when you STOP looking for them. I went outside with my calaper to get measurements for a new ring and what do i find next to the rear tire??????? i looked at that same spot 5 times without seeing the ring. I stop looking for the ring and i wound up stepping on it with bare feet....... (, yes it kind of hurt) giant thanks to everyone on this problem and, yes, i'm a 49 year old doof for letting this happen since i know better than to get into a hurry.

mike the doof!

p.s. Bill Engvall just called me and said that he has a "sign" for me... :)

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
At least you found it. I think we have all had some DOOF moments. If someone says they haven't they are lying...lol...

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size

things you find in the driveway when you STOP looking for them. I went outside with my calaper to get measurements for a new ring and what do i find next to the rear tire??????? i looked at that same spot 5 times without seeing the ring. I stop looking for the ring and i wound up stepping on it with bare feet....... (, yes it kind of hurt) giant thanks to everyone on this problem and, yes, i'm a 49 year old doof for letting this happen since i know better than to get into a hurry.

mike the doof!

p.s. Bill Engvall just called me and said that he has a "sign" for me... :)
You might be a Redneck if ...

well ,that is actually Jeff Foxworthy, but whatev.

:rofl:

mikeoverland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
250/I6
You might be a Redneck if ...

well ,that is actually Jeff Foxworthy, but whatev.

:rofl:
lets see.... i have one house that is mobile but only one vehicle that isn't........nope, not a redneck..... (although a buddy of mine said to forget putting the steering wheel back on and drive around with a pair of vice grips on the steering shaft...)

mike

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
Engine Size
DOH!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
garethrowsell