LMC windshield weatherstripping

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigPoser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne Super 10
Engine Size
Anyone used the windshield weatherstripping from LMC? I have one and when I went to pick up my truck from the glass shop, he didn't want to use it because "it would take too long to install" so he installed a used OEM seal from a donor truck. Well now it leaks like crazy and my carpet is very wet. I'm pretty pissed, but that's for another discussion.

So has anyone used the LMC rubber and if so, does it leak or seal like it should?

Thanks in advance.

Brandon

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
I have used two of them with good results but that was a number of years ago.... Reinstalling the used ones almost always ended in leaks.

BigPoser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne Super 10
Engine Size
I have used two of them with good results but that was a number of years ago.... Reinstalling the used ones almost always ended in leaks.

Correct me, but they are the "self locking" type right? Called a couple glass shops in town and both mentioned that they are a major pain in the arse to install.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
I have installed both the kind with the locking strip and the kind without the strip. Its not that hard of a job. I suspect they don't want to do it.

adamj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terrence
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7L TBI
Interesting... I've had a very different experience with these windshields, just replaced one not too long ago from a reputable shop.

From my experience and talking about this very issue in depth with a glass shop guy, the windshield weatherstripping system used on these trucks was one of best designs, also the simplest, and very easy to replace - guy said back in the day he used to do them in a bout 10 minutes because the system is so basic, and he misses the old stye because they worked so well (best design out of GM in his opinion) (although he doesn't see that many any more for obvious reasons).
He also said that if you have a good windshield weatherstrip in place already (see: OEM quality/rubber) and one that's been in the vehicle for a while, then it's a good idea to continue using that one. Getting a new one won't seal as well since the old one has formed to the windshield frame exceptionally well over time. Plus, aftermarket weatherstripping doesn't come close to OEM quality, and finding a NOS is next to impossible, and degradation of rubber may have set in over time.

I trust this guy, but could be wrong, you never know... But, in fact, I originally wanted to buy a complete replacement weatherstrip with new chrome locking strip from the shop, they showed me the new parts they had in stock (looked great), but the guy turned me down after explaining what I had in my truck was better than anything I could buy new today.

If you're leaking, make sure your frame and pinch weld has been thoroughly inspected for rust or damage, and if you're replacing a cracked windshield be sure to see how and where it cracked, that could give clues to a weakness or irregularity in the windshield frame, and subsequent installs will have problems if not addressed.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Interesting... I've had a very different experience with these windshields, just replaced one not too long ago from a reputable shop.

From my experience and talking about this very issue in depth with a glass shop guy, the windshield weatherstripping system used on these trucks was one of best designs, also the simplest, and very easy to replace - guy said back in the day he used to do them in a bout 10 minutes because the system is so basic, and he misses the old stye because they worked so well (best design out of GM in his opinion) (although he doesn't see that many any more for obvious reasons).
He also said that if you have a good windshield weatherstrip in place already (see: OEM quality/rubber) and one that's been in the vehicle for a while, then it's a good idea to continue using that one. Getting a new one won't seal as well since the old one has formed to the windshield frame exceptionally well over time. Plus, aftermarket weatherstripping doesn't come close to OEM quality, and finding a NOS is next to impossible, and degradation of rubber may have set in over time.

I trust this guy, but could be wrong, you never know... But, in fact, I originally wanted to buy a complete replacement weatherstrip with new chrome locking strip from the shop, they showed me the new parts they had in stock (looked great), but the guy turned me down after explaining what I had in my truck was better than anything I could buy new today.

If you're leaking, make sure your frame and pinch weld has been thoroughly inspected for rust or damage, and if you're replacing a cracked windshield be sure to see how and where it cracked, that could give clues to a weakness or irregularity in the windshield frame, and subsequent installs will have problems if not addressed.

I agree with all of this as well. If the original weatherstrip is good and plyable I would reuse it too.
I have had good luck with both new and original ones. I have also had bad luck with original ones if they are stiff and brittle. I go by the rule of thumb where I determine at the time of removal if a weatherstrip is reusable or not.

chevn-up

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10
Engine Size
305 c.i.
not the windshield, but the rear window from LMC. (without the strip) No problems, no leaks

Jesusfreak

Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado C10
Engine Size
Another option

I haven't had a chance to get mine done yet, but LMC makes some very good products. You can also look at Steele Rubber Products. We've used their products on Hotrods with great success.

DanMcG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
1978 1985
Truck Model
k10 k10
Engine Size
400 350
I haven't had a chance to get mine done yet, but LMC makes some very good products. You can also look at Steele Rubber Products. We've used their products on Hotrods with great success.

Thanks for the link!

Ken Beck

Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC C15
Engine Size
I just got a weatherstripping from Classic Industries. I lean towards them as they always treated me right with my El Camino's. I'll let you know how my windshield install goes as it's my first solo effort.

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Correct me, but they are the "self locking" type right? Called a couple glass shops in town and both mentioned that they are a major pain in the arse to install.

Classic Industries, Tucker, LMC, Steel Rubber, are also some good suppliers.

They are self locking or at least they have a locking strip that runs through the center of the moulding.

The problem is that the windshield installers are :

1) Completely inexperienced at installing theses type of windshields

2) Lazy...they just want a quick glue and set install since they get paid based solely upon the number of windshields that they install in a day/week.

When I had my windshield replaced, Safelite send a young installer who had no clue how to even start the install, let alone remove the previous glass. After an hour, I went outside to see the progress and flat out told him to call his shop and request an experienced installer. An older guy showed up and taught him how to remove and install the glass. The older guy (mid 40's) was done installing the windshield in under 30 mins. The kid was trying to convince me that he had to glue the windshield in place. I just laughed. I have installed numerous windshields like these in the past, but I had another project started (installing the windshield and rear glass in my 64 c10) going on at the same time. The trick I use is dawn dish soap and water in addition to heavy duty and thin twine kinda like shoelace material, wrapped around the perimeter of the gasket once on the windows. It is always a good idea to have an extra set of hands as well to align the glass while starting. As far as installing the locking bead, I again use dawn dish soap and water in a spray bottle, and use a snap on hook pick to guide the locking tab in place. The key item with the locking bead is to install it and the gasket in direct sunlight and to cut the locking bead long when it is WARM as it will shrink. I also start in the center lower part of every window with the locking bead so it looks balanced (but that is just me being ocd).

Last edited:

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
The key item with the locking bead is to install it and the gasket in direct sunlight and to cut the locking bead long when it is WARM as it will shrink. I also start in the center lower part of every window with the locking bead so it looks balanced (but that is just me being ocd).

So a good glass shop should have infrared heaters hanging over the bay...right?
Like a good chiropractor has an x-ray machine. (sorry, best I could come up with).

And no, smoothandlow, it is not ocd to center the locker bead...
it is ofwdi.
Good post btw.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
but the guy turned me down after explaining what I had in my truck was better than anything I could buy new today.

Ain't that the truth...

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
So what can we do to rejuvenate our old rubbers...

Turn 'em inside out and shake the eff outta them?

Sorry I mean our old weatherstrip. Can we boil them in oil for example?

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
So a good glass shop should have infrared heaters hanging over the bay...right?
Like a good chiropractor has an x-ray machine. (sorry, best I could come up with).

And no, smoothandlow, it is not ocd to center the locker bead...
it is ofwdi.
Good post btw.

Lol....the warm gasket allows for more flexibility. In the great white North, infrared heaters may be just the right ticket to eas the install. Here in the land of sunshine and excessive heat...not so much of an issue. I have seen more than a few gaskets and locking beads shrink sort and allow wind, dust and water to enter the cabs (especially on the 60's rear windows). Drives me bonkers!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmousseau8