Little help needed with positioning OEM roof rack etc on my 88 Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Among the stuff I got from a guy who was parting out a Suburban was what I assume was the factory roof rack and rear "spoiler" looking unit.

It took me a while to find a good photo, this looks like what I have:

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/1/2008/4141/5019570099_large.jpg

I didn't bring anything with me to measure the location of the mounting holes in the roof to mount them.

If anyone has these mounted on their Suburban could they give me a measurement from the top of the rear door opening to the position of each of them? I can center them, I would just like to be sure how far from the rear of the roof they usually are mounted.

I'm thinking a fabric measuring tape like my wife has in her sewing kit would work pretty well to follow the roof line but I'll take whatever I can get.

Thanks!

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Thanks!

glockholiday

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban 1/2 ton 4x4
Engine Size
Dammit I forgot, I'll try and remember tonight.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
I have the rack but no air deflector. I'm measuring 8" from the outer lip of the barn door's rain gutter to the most rearward screw on the rack's footpad. Don't think the measurement is ultra critical, the passenger side is an even 8" but the driver's side is 8.25". Rack is straight despite the difference.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
I don't think building these rigs was ever an exact science, not sure it is now!!

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
AFAIK there are two types of deflectors. One is fixed position with two fasteners per leg. The other is adjustable and uses three screws per leg. My understanding is the adjustable one was for Blazers, but was often installed on Suburbans by dealers. If you have the adjustable one I can measure the one on mine for you.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Attached, but no tape measure

You must be registered for see images attach

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
There was also two different style roof racks. It seems the second design started in '89.

If all else fails, I can measure my '88 tomorrow since I just found out I'll be home another day or two.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Little blurry due to low light, but about same as was posted above, 21.5cm. on 87 suburban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Thanks guys. Been working on the oil pressure switch question in my other thread and haven't gotten to this just yet. Looks like I need to get the rack etc out of the back and see what I've got. I packed all the extra parts in there 6 months ago for the move and haven't looked at them since, trying to sort out the mechanicals.

Also started looking into swapping out the dented up rear bumper for the nice one I got when I got the rack. It appears that the aftermarket trailer hitch and the dents in the bumper have pretty much closed off access to the bumper or bracket mounting bolts, haha. It almost appears that the gas tank mounting straps somehow attach to the hitch but I'm hoping I'm not seeing that correctly.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Well the plot thickens. Here's how my '88 is mounted and it must be longer than the others posted. Mine is the one with the wood grain inserts on the rails (faded badly) and the other style didn't get the inserts.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Thanks for the info. I dug mine out yesterday and I'll need to put it back together and measure overall length. I disassembled it completely so it would fit in my car for the 2 hour drive home. I don't have the strips that attach to the top, just the rack and air deflector.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Alrighty, it appears my rack once assembled is 77" long. I have an adjustable air deflector.

I took all of this stuff off of the other Suburban myself, it was an 86 as I recall. There no way the center support on the deflector will touch my roof without adjustment down, haha. Also appears that the profile built into the bottom of the deflector supports doesn't match the roofline back by the doors anywhere I've positioned it.

Other that that, it's a perfect fit!

I'll keep messing with it, referring to the photos you guys uploaded above, and figure it out.

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Mine sits much further back than that. The rack is about 5 inches from the rain gutter. The deflector is much closer to the edge of the roof as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84