Lights out on my '87...???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TropicalSilverado

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
I was idling my truck in the garage the other day and thought I would hit the auxiliary gas tank switch and check the gas gauge. When I did it a second time, I heard a soft pop. I then pulled the light switch on and found no tail lights, license license lights, front side marker lights and parking lights. When I looked further, I saw that the driver side high beam was out too?? The other headlights work along with the brake lights and turn signals front and rear. I haven't gotten into it yet but from what I've read, it could be a fuse, headlight switch or possibly a bad ground somewhere. Any idea why this might have happened when I toggled the gas tank switch? Thanks in advance.

TropicalSilverado

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Has anyone else had a similar problem?

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
I've never had that exact scenario happen but you're on the right track. Start checking fuses first, I don't know for sure but the tank switch may be on the same circuit as the lights. If you don't find any popped fuses, I'd pop the tank selector switch out to inspect as well as the headlight switch and make sure the switch and/or connector isn't burnt up. If you still don't find anything, start tracing wires to find the grounds and make sure you don't have any chafed/melted/brittle wires.

TropicalSilverado

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Thanks for your reply. I replaced the fuse and the lights came back up except the one headlight that went out. I will be checking the tank selector switch and headlight switch before replacing the headlight that may have burned out. I don't want it to happen again if I can avoid it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
texdave