lift advice 4" (1 Ton)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Usmczo6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V30
Engine Size
Hey just wondering what's a good company that has good customer service. I read through all the forms but at the end of the day I would like to speak to a sales professional and discuss some suspension ideas, I basically know where I want to go, 1988 v30 454 4 spd dump dully, I plan on taking off the dump an building a flat bed, I would like to go with a 4" lift, it has to be compatible with the weight of a big block up front, and I still want to be able to carry a heavy payload sometimes. With the lift I also need to replace the leaf spring hangers, there rusted to all hell. I'm looking for a one stop shop with advise. Budget is around the $1200 dollars range. Companies do not list v30's in there parts lineup, however I know is basically comparable to the 1987 R 30 any advise would be appreciated

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I’d say Deaver or ORD(Alcan) but they’re $1800-2000 for the set of 4...

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
ORD sells Tuff Country and they have a HD spring that will handle your load plus it still has flex.

You will need rear springs as well, can't be driving around on dump truck springs...
If you can find a stock rear leaf set from a junk yard, you can get your 4" of lift from a rear shackle flip kit also from ORD.
If you need to replace hangers you may as well go that route. If you do, you might need ORD's axle relocating plates. Dropping the rear
leaf with a shackle flip will roll the rear wheel slightly forward. Maybe if you run a deck you can get away with this.

Load some pics if you can.

Usmczo6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V30
Engine Size
What are the benefits of doing a shackle flip?I'm all about saving money but the old leaf springs are rusted to beyond death and all the hangers are completely rusted as well, it seems like cheap insurance just to replace the leaf springs and hangers. I've also seen the direct fabricated leaf spring hangers any benefit to those as well?

Curt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-30
Engine Size
With a shackle flip,you’d use your rear leafs.Probably won’t ride no bueno for ****.Talk to Stephan from offroad design,see what he thinks.No,he just doesn’t wanna sell stuff.He loves the sport and squarebody trucks.I’m sure he’ll get you headed in the right direction

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
Just a heads up- the 1987 R30 and 1988 V30 aren't "basically comparable". They're both 1 tons but the R was a 2wd truck and the V was a 4wd (like the C and K used to be, they changed the name in '87 to make room for the GMT400 body style c/k series trucks that came out in '88 standard cab pickups). The trucks are of the same body style overall and are both 1 ton trucks, but they do not have the same suspension. If you don't see a V30 listed, you probably can't just go ahead and buy one for the R30 and say close enough, because they are not the same

86454k30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Truck Year
Truck Model
CHEVROLET
Engine Size
Here is a 78 K30 with a superlift 3.5" as they call it.....its a 4" Includes everything you need.

You must be registered for see images attach

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
What are the benefits of doing a shackle flip?I'm all about saving money but the old leaf springs are rusted to beyond death and all the hangers are completely rusted as well, it seems like cheap insurance just to replace the leaf springs and hangers. I've also seen the direct fabricated leaf spring hangers any benefit to those as well?

Shackle flip provides lift, better ride, and still retains the stock spring load capability.

https://www.offroaddesign.com/

Check out their website- can learn a lot from that website. And you can call them and ask them questions- even if you aren't buying at that right second. I called last week for questions about a magnum doubler transfer case setup.

The aftermarket spring hangers and heavy duty shackles are way stronger than stock.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
The benefit is lifting without blocks or over arched springs, plus they 'meet' the bumps more head on and give a better ride.
Lifting blocks put more leverage on the diff housing causing wheel hope. Of course you need some power for that, but even a gutless 305 in low range in sand or sticky whatever will create wheel hop.
Over arched springs do not flex very well, and puts much more stress on the shackles and going around corners.

Usmczo6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V30
Engine Size
Thanks for the advice just what I was looking for off-road designs sounds like a good place to get started.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
I have a 3" lift on my K30 and 33" tall tires. It actually measures out to 3.5". Tuff Country HD's in front, 3" block in back with factory springs. I have a 454, A/C, and dual batteries and the front is still pretty stiff. I believe ORD is now selling the front (rear axle) spring hangers for the K30. You can use those and their reverse kit to keep OEM rear springs and get 4" of lift. Since you have a dump truck, you won't need the kit that would center the axle in the wheel well.

FYI a 3" lift would be 5" on a K10 or K20 due to the taller frame on the K/V30's. Photo #2 was my K15 with an axle swap. It had a 4" Tuff Country lift with EZ Ride fronts. The K30 sits an inch taller with a smaller lift.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
I have a 3" lift on my K30 and 33" tall tires. It actually measures out to 3.5". Tuff Country HD's in front, 3" block in back with factory springs. I have a 454, A/C, and dual batteries and the front is still pretty stiff. I believe ORD is now selling the front (rear axle) spring hangers for the K30. You can use those and their reverse kit to keep OEM rear springs and get 4" of lift. Since you have a dump truck, you won't need the kit that would center the axle in the wheel well.

FYI a 3" lift would be 5" on a K10 or K20 due to the taller frame on the K/V30's. Photo #2 was my K15 with an axle swap. It had a 4" Tuff Country lift with EZ Ride fronts. The K30 sits an inch taller with a smaller lift.

You have the Easy Ride HD's in the front and still think it rides rough? Aren't they the softest spring you can get? I've seen people describe the ride of those as being comparable to their modern 2010ish 2500HD trucks ride. I just got a set for $100 and was hoping it would really soften up the ride.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
Tuff Country has EZ ride springs and HD springs.

EZ= easy soft ride
HD= stiff ride for carrying weight

He has HD.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!

You can tune those Tuff Country HDs with a zip disc. Take .5" off both ends of the little bottom leaf. Keep trimming until you notice a difference. That
bottom spring afaik is the HD difference.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Tuff Country has EZ ride springs and HD springs.

EZ= easy soft ride
HD= stiff ride for carrying weight

He has HD.

Not really... they are the same springs. The HD just has an additional bottom spring. You can make an "HD" into an "EZ-Ride" by just removing the bottom spring. Or at least they used to be. I noticed the older pair I have has a different part numbering scheme then the current ones, maybe they changed things up and have made them stiffer....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmousseau8