LED vs halogen.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Now that they’ve been out for a while, what’s everyone think about halogen vs LED off road lights? Looking at putting some lights on my Titan, I’ve got a couple sets of halogen lights but I’m intrigued by the LED pods and light bars. Now I’m not talking about putting 7 light bars on top of my truck, I’m talking about putting either a couple cubes or a 20” bar in the opening in my bumper. I recently picked up a battery powered handheld dewalt spotlight, and was really surprised by the output and distance from the 4 LED’s. I always like to hear your guy’s input, so let me have it.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
Last year I did some electronic tech work for one of my brother in laws friends. I refused any sort of payment because we started talking about trucks and offroading. When he heard I didn't have off road lights he ran to a back room and dug some Rigid cube lights out (D series PRO) that were on his side by side that was wrecked. They were only installed for 1 week before it rolled. (no damage to them).

I got around to installing them about a month ago- and WOW. Didn't think such a little light could put out that much useable light. I've had the old KC daylighters and other halogen off road lights in the past. Sucks down some amperage and things often looked "washed out".

The Rigid LEDs have a better color light and don't use a lot of power either. Which is great for the older lower wattage alternators.

I got a pair of their "driving" lights which are actually a 45 degree wide angle. These I think are the most useful for me. Good to see deer in the ditches... also got a second set of lights where are their "spot" version. These are only a 10 degree narrow beam for seeing far ahead. I don't do much high speed driving- they are nice but not as useful in my case.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
I agree, leds use less power, less heat generated, produce a better beam pattern, and in my opinion better overall lighting. I've got some rigid D-XL pros, flood pattern, they're great, and rigid is top notch stuff, spendy though. Comes with stainless mounting brackets and hardware, and the wiring harness is nice as well.

Superbrightleds.com has some decent light bars compared to the other China ones.

You must be registered for see images attach

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
I think I’m going to go with a 20” bar, as my bumper has a decent sized hole down low that it should fit into quite well. I’ve done some looking around and also found some auxiliary push switches that snap into my factory blanks on my dash and match the Oe switches. Should look pretty slick. I’ll be posting my old lights in the for sale section here.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
What switches are you talking about? I'm curious...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
83elcowes