LED quad headlights?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

emoze

Reaction score
First Name
lary
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
i have '84 with quad lites - currently have aftermarket H4's with 100/90 bulbs installed; bright, but not happy with the beam pattern

anyone have experience with the aftermarket LED's now on eBay?

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Beam pattern could be a result of the housing, bulb, or both. I cant offer any better ones, sadly, but i would maybe see if you cant find used or just be prepared ot send a few back and order some and try different bulbs. if you cant get a clean cut off, at most try a couple housings but generally speaking if its not a nice projector its not gonna be the best for an LED, but that is not to say it CANT happen it just is not seen as often

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
The H4 lamps are cut glass....thats your pattern. Better brands (Hella, Cibie, etc - anything Euro) will have superior patterns as this is all they've done for 40 yrs while the DOT stateside fell in love with the stylish plastic that yellows and hazes. There was a brand Valeo - that was basically the cloned twin to Cibie that is also great. There's a brand on feebay now - all 4 lamps for $100? Think they're Asian...dunno. Thats about the last set/brand I routinely see.

Getting very hard to find them anymore - I went to a seller on Amazon (something I NEVER do) to get my pair of Hellas as they have discontinued iirc the low beams. Our problem there is that the 4x6 bulbs are also going away.

I had 90/100 bulbs in a car once - really stressed (as in heated good) the wiring and they didn't last for sht. On that end, run dual 40A relays (low + high) and go directly to the battery. You'll be stunned at how much better a true 60w looks as compared to the 37w you'd get otherwise with junk wiring.

Just my 2c.

emoze

Reaction score
First Name
lary
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
i know about the wiring & switch stress - have a separate harness with relays that bypasses the chevy wiring - use same in all my "old" cars wit hi-watt H4s

still looking for anyone with actual experience with ANY LED options

i'll check out the idea of finding euro cut lenses

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
i know about the wiring & switch stress - have a separate harness with relays that bypasses the chevy wiring - use same in all my "old" cars wit hi-watt H4s

still looking for anyone with actual experience with ANY LED options

i'll check out the idea of finding euro cut lenses
I have LED bulbs in h4 conversions, let me find some pics
You must be registered for see images attach

The 2nd to last photo is a little misleading, one of my auxillary lights are on, which is why its so intense in the center. but the beam cutoff would still be indistinct as it is there. It does cut off, but it has a layer where its dedicated scatter, then just a little. I did turn bulbs in housing till best achieved. Also, you may notice the glare. Its from the random scatter. It adds up. Overall, as far as driver only concerned, 7/10. better than halogens but it definitely is less "safe" for others.

So evidently i bought hella ones. well, either way, its NOT meant for LED(which i think they make). It is for using a halogen h4 bulb inside them.
to note, because of led bases, i couldnt use weather seal on the housing either. that is gonna be dirt and debris making your beam worse or blocked. Not sure how remediated it is or how others do it. for me, it was for on property and i still have the h4 that came in the box and could easily plug and play with safe halogen if need be.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
found one more

notice the choppy lines

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I've got a set of these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01L...webp_QL65&keywords=led+sealed+beam+headlights

They work well for the most part. Night vision is excellent and they don't blind oncoming traffic. They come with worthless instructions for switching the pins in the connector, just throw them away, lol. They get a little condensation in them if it's cool and damp in the morning and then the sun comes out and the temp goes up a bunch.

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
X2 on quality. CIBIE all the way. no comparison to anything else. they are like a 14bff what could you do to improve it? highdesertranger

hunters628

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Hunter
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
OP:
Look at vintagecarleds.com. I have a set from them in my VW. They are very high quality and they have excellent customer service. Small business based out of Texas I believe. I had 1 bulb start to flicker after 3 years in my VW and they sent me a new set no questions asked. They are super bright and have a great beam pattern if you get them with the housings they sell. A little pricy but well worth it IMO.

Looks like they don’t sell housings to fit our quad headlights but I would still buy the lights from them. The customer service alone is well worth the asking price over China junk on Amazon.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
X2 on quality. CIBIE all the way. no comparison to anything else. they are like a 14bff what could you do to improve it? highdesertranger

Disc brakes with a parking brake that works as well as drums. Lighten it about 200 lbs.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
my bad, i didnt notice the QUAD in question.
but, as far as brand quality and the gerometry of aiming and light angles,

should be the same, just different product number(if made) and gotta try brands. hopefully someone has a great personal experience with quad they can share

OldFatBald

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
i have '84 with quad lites - currently have aftermarket H4's with 100/90 bulbs installed; bright, but not happy with the beam pattern

anyone have experience with the aftermarket LED's now on eBay?

Sorry, but I have no experience with eBay LED headlights - but have you checked out Dapper Lighting? They are based here in Northern California and are a great company to work with.

I have used a couple of their round sets. The company is relatively small and they keep updating their products.

I will be getting a set of their 4x6 rectangular lights for my 89

emoze

Reaction score
First Name
lary
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
update - per ideas above - b'ot pair of H4 GS Power OEM style 4 x 6 inch Hi/Lo Glass Lens off Amazon - cheap at $23 - they are GREAT!

- solved the hi/low beam pattern issue & vastly improved road view on low beam

these replaced 2 of my other (set of 4) Autopia H6-106, which have a clear lens & "shaped" reflector - fwiw the 2 remaining autopia HIGH beam are great for long range

seems to be that the 'shaped reflector' throws too much light everywhere instead of focusing it for 'normal' driving as do the euro-style GS's

p.s. - contrary to some reviews of these on amazon, they fit perfectly in my '84 with no looseness -

oh - and my eearch on LEDs caused me to buy a set for my '04 Accord which had terrible oem lighting - also got these on amazon: SEALIGHT 9005/HB3 High Beam 9006/HB4 Low Beam LED 14000LM Bulbs Combo Package - amazing improvement

problem solved! - thanks for the ideas

Last edited:

OldFatBald

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
...b'ot pair of H4 GS Power OEM style 4 x 6 inch Hi/Lo Glass Lens off Amazon - cheap at $23 - they are GREAT!

- solved the hi/low beam pattern issue & vastly improved road view on low beam

these replaced 2 of my other (set of 4) Autopia H6-106, which have a clear lens & "shaped" reflector - fwiw the 2 remaining autopia HIGH beam are great for long range...also got these on amazon: SEALIGHT 9005/HB3 High Beam 9006/HB4 Low Beam LED 14000LM Bulbs Combo Package - amazing improvement...

Can you post a link to the GS Power 4x6s? All I can find are their larger ones.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BryantRiverRat