LED light question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

My78truck

'Ol Holly
Reaction score
First Name
Becky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
5.7L
I am changing all my lights, interior and exterior, to LEDs. I found really close to stock lights that I will send in PM if interested.

My question is, with the LED change over, I've seen videos that just install them, I've seen videos that add resistors. I've seen videos that add a new head light harness to bypass the battery, to light switch to head light path. So my question is.......

1) - Do I need to install resistors????? this truck is a 1978 so NO computerized idiot light involved to get confused about aftermarket lights

2) - Do I need to install a new light harness. Since LEDs draw less power, will the direct wire to the battery this harness requires, burn out, blow up or shorten the life of my LED's. Bulbs are inexpensive to replace compared to the actual headlights.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
The main reason for resistors is hyper flash on the turn signals. There is no load, so the stock flasher thinks a bulb is burned out. You can by an electron flasher to resolve the issue.

You must be registered for see images attach

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Yep, just get the LED specific flasher relay. The point of LEDs besides longer life and brightness, is less power draw.

Adding resistors is the old school way of adding LEDs.

No need to worry about the wiring harness. Electrical components only use what they need. Just because there is more potential on a circuit doesn’t mean the component is absorbing it. Think about this, I can plug my delicate little flat screen into the same outlet as my Lincoln 140 welder.

My78truck

'Ol Holly
Reaction score
First Name
Becky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
5.7L
Thanks, I am waiting on my exterior lights and bulbs. When all is installed, will see if a resister is needed.

Thanks for the help

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
Keep in mind you can’t dim LED bulbs. Do your dash lamps will be full bright.

I have seen pulse width modulated modules to “dim” led lamps, but I don’t think you can control it with the factory dimmer. They don’t technically dim like regular bulbs by limiting voltage, you dim LEDs by switching them on and off really fast. By adjusting the off time (pulse width modulating) gives the appearance of dimming the lamps.

As someone mentioned, LED taillights need the electronic flashers for the turn signal to work. The taillights and brake light will work with no changes.

mnsouth

Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra 1500
Engine Size
The LEDs will work but will they flash fast like you have burned out bulb?

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
Since LEDs require far less current to operate, they won’t flash.

My78truck

'Ol Holly
Reaction score
First Name
Becky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
5.7L
Mine didnt blink so had to get the resistor to plug into block

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
Mine didnt blink so had to get the resistor to plug into block
Since LEDs require far less current to operate, they won’t flash.
The LEDs will work but will they flash fast like you have burned out bulb?

Doesn't appear everyone with input about these LED lights has used them...

LEDs will stop the lights from blinking on older cars - the dash bulb will stay on solid. On newer cars they will hyper flash.
I wish they would not have changed this along the way and kept them on solid with burned out bulbs.

Corvette Ed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eli
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Keep in mind you can’t dim LED bulbs. Do your dash lamps will be full bright.

I have seen pulse width modulated modules to “dim” led lamps, but I don’t think you can control it with the factory dimmer. They don’t technically dim like regular bulbs by limiting voltage, you dim LEDs by switching them on and off really fast. By adjusting the off time (pulse width modulating) gives the appearance of dimming the lamps.

As someone mentioned, LED taillights need the electronic flashers for the turn signal to work. The taillights and brake light will work with no changes.
I’ve installed LEDs in my C10 and my Samurai,both instrument panels dim as before.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cheify