Led headlight resistors?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chops

Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I just bought some LED headlights for 83 that will not work, do I need resistors? If so which ones should i get?

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
Make sure the polarity is not reversed. Many LEDs won't work if this is not correct.

Chops

Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
They will come on theyre just extremely dim, if i hook it up straight to the battery they work great

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Did your previous headlights work full power?

Check your wiring, particularly the grounds. Check voltage at the headlight plug while the truck is running.

If the lights are coming on but just very dim, the electricity has a complete path, just not a very good one.

Might be a good time to rework your front harness and possibly run relays for the lights.

Chops

Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Ill have to do that, just wasnt to sure if maybe i needed resistors. Figured id ask that before getting to deep into the wiring, thanks

Dave 84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Resisters will make it worse I belive you all ready figured it out so you know the light works cuz you have already put it to direct power and it's good!
It sounds like a voltage drop so get your volt meter and check your battery voltage then check the voltage right at the light and if that voltage is very low you'll need to go over all your powers also take your meter and put your negative lead straight to were your ground is for the light and your positive at the battery positive to see if you have a bad ground even with a relay(witch I highly recommend but not mandatory) this is a very simple circuit! A voltage drop is most commonly a bad connection hopefully that helped you

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T3rraBeara