Leaf springs need help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

boltbrain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K20
Engine Size
I just got a 79 K20 4x4 that rides like a boat and looks like a two wheel drive. It’s had a tough life hauling hay on bumpy roads. I’d like to just get it back to original, but don’t know whether to trust the suppliers on what to get, or get some more springs from a yard and just add some leafs.
So the front axle (Dana 44) is 1 1/2” below the rubber bumpers. And there’s only two leafs on each side, both wrap around the bolts, like two main springs. They bow up in the middle which I know us normal on some pickup, was that how these were originally? I’m guessing they bow up about 3”.
The rears bow down in the middle which looks much more dignified, have a flat thick overload leaf in the bottom, and 5 leafs besides, including the main spring. They bow down about 3”
I’m not too worried about price, as I’m doing the work myself. But I do need a truck that can carry it’s rated load, drive on bumpy roads without making passengers seasick, and look respectable.
Any opinion would be greatly appreciated.

Turbo Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dwight
Truck Year
Truck Model
V30
Engine Size
388 TBI Stroker
I used SD Truck Springs when I replaced the suspension on my V30. The fronts are a reverse flex and both look like you described. But if it 'drives like a boat' to me that sounds like worn out shocks. The springs will affect the ride height. I replaced all mine because of the same thing you are looking for, correct load capabilities. They even have the HD spec springs.

SD Truck Springs

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
I just got a 79 K20 4x4 that rides like a boat and looks like a two wheel drive. It’s had a tough life hauling hay on bumpy roads. I’d like to just get it back to original, but don’t know whether to trust the suppliers on what to get, or get some more springs from a yard and just add some leafs.
So the front axle (Dana 44) is 1 1/2” below the rubber bumpers. And there’s only two leafs on each side, both wrap around the bolts, like two main springs. They bow up in the middle which I know us normal on some pickup, was that how these were originally? I’m guessing they bow up about 3”.
The rears bow down in the middle which looks much more dignified, have a flat thick overload leaf in the bottom, and 5 leafs besides, including the main spring. They bow down about 3”
I’m not too worried about price, as I’m doing the work myself. But I do need a truck that can carry it’s rated load, drive on bumpy roads without making passengers seasick, and look respectable.
Any opinion would be greatly appreciated.
Thats some pretty light duty springs for a K20. My 8600GVW 1980 K25 had 8+1 in the rear and 3 leafs in the front. The front was also a negative arch(which is the stock design). I went to a tuffcountry EZ-Ride HD front springs and 1997 K2500 5+1 rear springs. It does ride much smoother, but maintained the high GVWR.

boltbrain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K20
Engine Size
Thanks, I’ll look at SD springs, and get some shocks.

89GMCJimmy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ivan
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
I used SD Truck Springs when I replaced the suspension on my V30. The fronts are a reverse flex and both look like you described. But if it 'drives like a boat' to me that sounds like worn out shocks. The springs will affect the ride height. I replaced all mine because of the same thing you are looking for, correct load capabilities. They even have the HD spec springs.

SD Truck Springs
Once you get your springs if still too spongy spend the money on correct valve shocks made big difference for me.(different application) but relevant. I had to get Bilstein 5125 360/80 valving to work with my 1/2 ton Jimmy the 255/70 valving was exactly too boatey wallowy loose soft

89GMCJimmy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ivan
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Once you get your springs if still too spongy spend the money on correct valve shocks made big difference for me.(different application) but relevant. I had to get Bilstein 5125 360/80 valving to work with my 1/2 ton Jimmy the 255/70 valving was exactly too boatey wallowy loose soft
Just saw this was posted June2022 sorry hope your springs shocks worked out for you