Leaf springs for 87 V1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JM in KY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic
Engine Size
I’m looking at replacing the leaf springs (front and rear) for my ‘87 GMC. It has a 350 and is a half-ton single cab. Anybody know the original weight ratings and / or have a recommended source for these?

I plan to do the work myself, so cost not a huge concern.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
If you look up the specs on I think through gmheritagecenter.com it gives spring or axle ratings.
Honestly though I don’t think that matters much.
If lifting it, just don’t get the base model Rough Country springs unless you like em high n hard! Lol
Otherwise SD truck spring is a good source for quality OE type springs I believe. Or Deaver or ORD if you want to get really fancy.

Reactions: WFO

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
I was told once upon a time that Dayton Spring is a good company. The company history goes back to Stanley Spring Works, then TRW Spring then Dayton Spring since 1988. SD truck springs sells them along with RockAuto. I bought longer 56" Dayton rear springs for my truck a few years ago. Happy with them. At the time RockAuto was a vendor here and there was a discount. Not sure what happened as I didn't see them last time I checked.

RockAuto website lists capacity in pounds, but also says what the leaf pack is (5/1= 6 leaf pack). Might be useful to match what you have now?

Redfish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I’m looking at replacing the leaf springs (front and rear) for my ‘87 GMC. It has a 350 and is a half-ton single cab. Anybody know the original weight ratings and / or have a recommended source for these?

I plan to do the work myself, so cost not a huge concern.
Are you planning to stay at original stock height or were you wanting to lift it a little bit?

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected

I'm not sure if the links above will work- Rockauto also has dimensions of the spring packs, a picture of the spring pack, and gives the load rating. Top link was for 2,200 lb springs, lower link was for 2,775 lb springs (52" springs). I was going to mention this in my prior post but my train of thought must have derailed and crashed. :(

JM in KY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic
Engine Size
Are you planning to stay at original stock height or were you wanting to lift it a little bit?
I was planning to stay at original height. My square is 4WD and I’m short. Don’t really like the look of side steps, so I can’t make the truck too high.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
I would look at just stock replacement through SDtrucksprings.com then or maybe just a tuff country EZ-ride with a small ~1.5" lift for a bit softer ride than stock withoutmaking you have to climb a rope ladder to get in. The ORD sway bar disconnect kit really helps with ride quality, but requires at least a small lift of some kind.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg