Leaf spring rebuild help...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Deftster

Reaction score
First Name
Nicholas
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC C1500 Sierra Classic
Engine Size
305 4BBL
Hey everyone,

I have a 1981 C1500 and the rear leaf spring on one side is cracked near the spring eye, the bushings are due to be replaced anyway. it is also the original leaf springs that came from the factory. It's an 8' Fleetside 2WD with 56" 5/1 leaf setup. I can only find these 6 leaf springs on LMC Truck for a staggering $499 per side. I live in Nova Scotia so for each side plus shipping duties and conversion to CAD is about $1600. I did see that RockAuto has a Husky spring top leaf repair for the 9 leaf setup. My question(s) are, do you thinkg that top leaf would work with my setup, if not would a different leaf spring setup work altogether. I really want to avoid that kind of bill as the two top leaves would be less than $200. I would imagine GM did not produce a new top leaf for every setup and I think it would be fine, but I cant find any information about the part as ist from various manufacturers. Just curious if anyone has any experience with this or any helpful knowledge.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=8709004&cc=1143144&pt=7544&jsn=978&jsn=978 << The top leaf in question.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
If width and length are the same, idk why why you propose wouldn’t work. And other details, locator pin location getting the right bushings for each end, etc.
I dont understand the cost and shipping challenges in particular, but fwiw, you can get new 1/2ton leaf spring packs ready to install for around $200 per side (USD). Just a suggestion.

Rickf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
1974, 1954 & a 1937
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I just changed a top leaf on a K3500 C&C with 9 leafs. The top leaf for a 1/2 ton 2WD might have a different center and length. I sold the truck, so I can't measure for you.

I used the catalog from https://www.generalspringkc.com/ for measurements.

Last edited:

Deftster

Reaction score
First Name
Nicholas
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC C1500 Sierra Classic
Engine Size
305 4BBL
I know this post is almost a year old now, but It did in fact work, for anyone looking to do the same. Kudos to all the replies, thanks!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
texdave