Leaf spring and other suspension questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Squarescare

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
350 tbi
So can i remove the rear helper leaf spring for a better ride? My truck rides like ass over bumps and potholes (1987v20) the bushings are also toast would replacing them make the ride that much better? Im talking like teeth rattling over what i feel is minor stuff, new shocks all the way around btw

Radiohead

Reducing tire diameter 1000 revolutions at once
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
MCMLXXIX
Truck Model
C-20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
454 crazy cubes, or 7.4 luscious litres
What kind of tire pressure do you have?
Are we talking load range E @70# or something a bit softer?
Removing a helper spring probably won't soften the ride but having proper bushings will help with all the noise and keep your axle pointed where it should.

Squarescare

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
350 tbi
Removing a helper spring probably won't soften the ride but having proper bushings will help with all the noise and keep your axle pointed where it should.
Well im pretty sure its not the tires they are just those damn general grabbers ive run the same ones on other trucks, but i should give alittle more background here this truck has been apart for years i sandblasted and painted the frame slapped it together and have been driving it. All the bushings on this truck are ****** other then shocks I havnt done much to the suspension the front shocks helped quite a bit but the thing is very rough still.

Im going to do all rear leafspring bushings soon should i just sandblast and repaint old springs? No cracks or sagging that i can see but seems like most people replace them aswell....

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Your spring rate is just really high for load carrying abilities. Yes old/cheap/or ten ply tires do contribute to a harsher ride but most
of your teeth rattling is from the spring rates.

Radiohead

Reducing tire diameter 1000 revolutions at once
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
MCMLXXIX
Truck Model
C-20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
454 crazy cubes, or 7.4 luscious litres
I guess then that you need to decide between load capacity and ride comfort. As a 3/4 ton truck, I would choose to leave the suspension capacity alone, but I understand wanting to not bust teeth too.

Air bags?

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
So can i remove the rear helper leaf spring for a better ride? My truck rides like ass over bumps and potholes (1987v20) the bushings are also toast would replacing them make the ride that much better? Im talking like teeth rattling over what i feel is minor stuff, new shocks all the way around btw
If you are using it for 3/4 ton truck stuff, then you are mostly stuck with high spring rate unless you put air bags on. If you just daily it and offroad with it, then just get stock K10 56" rear springs and swap them out. You will be time ahead with trying to replace stock bushings in your old springs and the ride will be better. I think a set of stock K10 56" springs is only about $200 for a set. Another option if you also want to put a small lift on it is skyjacker or Tuff Country EZ ride springs. They have significantly lower spring rates than the 3/4 ton springs, even the EZ ride HD ones.

Squarescare

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
350 tbi
Well im pretty sure its not the tires they are just those damn general grabbers ive run the same ones on other trucks, but i should give alittle more background here this truck has been apart for years i sandblasted and painted the frame slapped it together and have been driving it. All the bushings on this truck are ****** other then shocks I havnt done much to the suspension the front shocks helped quite a bit but the thing is very rough still.

Im going to do all rear leafspring bushings soon should i just sandblast and repaint old springs? No cracks or sagging that i can see but seems like most people replace them aswell....
If you are using it for 3/4 ton truck stuff, then you are mostly stuck with high spring rate unless you put air bags on. If you just daily it and offroad with it, then just get stock K10 56" rear springs and swap them out. You will be time ahead with trying to replace stock bushings in your old springs and the ride will be better. I think a set of stock K10 56" springs is only about $200 for a set. Another option if you also want to put a small lift on it is skyjacker or Tuff Country EZ ride springs. They have significantly lower spring rates than the 3/4 ton springs, even the EZ ride HD ones.
No air bags radio, and no I probly wont work this truck too hard other then occasional light towing, id like to fully restore it 2 tone blue and silver someday. I had a c10 for years, didnt ride like a new truck but this is ridiculous. Anyways i assume K10 leafs bolt right on? If i remember right frames are pretty much the same. And if i do k10 rears, do i have to change to k10 fronts?

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl

No air bags radio, and no I probly wont work this truck too hard other then occasional light towing, id like to fully restore it 2 tone blue and silver someday. I had a c10 for years, didnt ride like a new truck but this is ridiculous. Anyways i assume K10 leafs bolt right on? If i remember right frames are pretty much the same. And if i do k10 rears, do i have to change to k10 fronts?
There is no difference between K10 and K20 other than springs and axles. K10 could have either 52" OR 56" springs though, while K20 ONLY had 56" springs. You can mix and match front/rear springs all you want. If you don't have a high GVWR option or heavy duty front spring option truck, you likely already have the same front springs that would have come on a K10 anyways.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
There is no difference between K10 and K20 other than springs and axles. K10 could have either 52" OR 56" springs though, while K20 ONLY had 56" springs. You can mix and match front/rear springs all you want. If you don't have a high GVWR option or heavy duty front spring option truck, you likely already have the same front springs that would have come on a K10 anyways.

Maybe it depends on the year. My '77 K20 had 52" springs. When I bought new rear springs I switched to 56" with ORD's shackle flip. I have about the same load carrying capability but it did make it ride a bit better on the rear end.

Squarescare

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
350 tbi
One last dumb question guys what is the stock height for rear leafsprings? All of em on amazon say 6in, 4inch, or 2 in lift. I do not want the truck lifted but im having a hard time finding springs that dont say lift of some height, at least on amazon that is. I assume im overthinking it and should just buy springs that dont mention lift at but i want to double check

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
One last dumb question guys what is the stock height for rear leafsprings? All of em on amazon say 6in, 4inch, or 2 in lift. I do not want the truck lifted but im having a hard time finding springs that dont say lift of some height, at least on amazon that is. I assume im overthinking it and should just buy springs that dont mention lift at but i want to double check
If you just want stock height, stay with stock springs. Here is a set of stock 56" V20 springs. They are the lighter capacity, so should ride better.
https://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=7356

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
How many psi's in those damn old general grabbers?
25psi in the damn old Maxxix 35s on my V20 does alot to keep the high spring rate at bay...

Squarescare

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
350 tbi
If you just want stock height, stay with stock springs. Here is a set of stock 56" V20 springs. They are the lighter capacity, so should ride better.
https://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=7356
Ah i see now 6 1/4 ARCH rise is/was confusing me all springs have arch rise doesnt mean 6 inch lift think i get it now.

And ill check tire pressure i havnt yet but honestly id be suprised if it really was the tires, but ive been wrong before and its easy enough to do

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
RockAuto has replacement stock springs (no lift) for various GVW trucks. As already mentioned you could also switch to 56” springs if you don’t already have them. IIRC you just need to move one of the spring hangers to make them fit.

Scott Delaney

Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
6.2L Detroit Diesel
Maybe I missed it earlier in the thread, but have you tried loading the springs?

I carry 500 lbs of sand over the axle of my 83 C20. Rides like a dream.

Without load it's a bone shaker.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84