Lares vs Cardone steering box reman not Saginaw?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

oldretiredafguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1988, 1988, 1991, 1983
Truck Model
GMC V-Jimmy, GMC Suburban 4WD, GMC Suburban 4WD, GMC-2500 CrewCab
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350

1979 K10

Reaction score
First Name
Terrell
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Here’s a quick video of the steering box flex. Can’t see any cracks in frame and all factory rivets are tight.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

eskimomann209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Here’s a quick video of the steering box flex. Can’t see any cracks in frame and all factory rivets are tight.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Is your helper ok? I can’t hear em bitching.

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
I am not sure if it is a problem with 4wd units but I have seen 2wd trucks have a crack in the front crossmember so it might be worth checking. I saw a guy on youtube make his own version of the frame stiffener. if you have a grinder and a welder it's not difficult and probably 20 bucks in metal and bolts. I have not done it yet but it's on my list of things to make.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Any wrecking yards in your area? Try to find a factory steering box and send it to Redhead Steering for a rebuild.

<https://redheadsteeringgears.com>

Redhead steering is not far from me. They do great quality work and we have dealt with them many times at the shop. However, they will cost much more than a reman unit, and expect that whatever they promise you for a time frame, it will likely be longer.

I'm going to echo what others have said, cardone does not have a good reputation at all. You got 20 years out of yours and that's amazing for that company. It's sad to talk about them like that because they started out in Pennsylvania in the 70's still have a factory there AFAIK, and I remember a time when cardone meant good parts. Now they mean warranty come backs....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
83elcowes