Kingpin bushings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WutupYo

Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30/V30
Engine Size
Chasing down some wobble in my front end. I have an ORD steering setup. I've replaced all the tie rods and put a new steering stabilizer in. I haven't experienced the wobble again, but it is pulling to one side. I've already had an alignment done.

I plan on replacing the kinpin pushings. On to my specific question, are the ORD upgrade/replacement eurethane blocks worth it? Getting rid of the spring and going with what they say is a part that won't wear anymore?

Also they sell bronze replacement bushings that they say won't wear, but for the price I don't see those being worth it.

A link to what htey offer: http://offroaddesign.com/catalog/Dana60UpgradeParts.htm

Thanks.

PBALLARD

Reaction score
First Name
pete
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-30/ M1028A1
Engine Size
I REPLACED MINE WITH LITTLE EFFORT WITH MAXIMUM EFFECT - NO MORE DEATH WOBBLE

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
When I built my axle I kept the stock style urethane bushing and spring, it's a tried & true simple set up. The reason I didn't go with the bronze bushing and/or a spring eliminator is because I don't have an inch pound torque wrench to set it up or maintain it - which also begs the question, how often would the springless set up need to be adjusted?

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
After the alignment is your steering wheel straight? Sometimes if the wheel is off the gear wants straighten itself. Also you may have a tire pull, try swapping the front tires side to side if it's a tire problem the truck will either go straight or pull the opposite way

WutupYo

Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30/V30
Engine Size
When I built my axle I kept the stock style urethane bushing and spring, it's a tried & true simple set up. The reason I didn't go with the bronze bushing and/or a spring eliminator is because I don't have an inch pound torque wrench to set it up or maintain it - which also begs the question, how often would the springless set up need to be adjusted?
I THINK what you're referring to is the setup that replaces the factory cap, with a cap that has a bolt going through the top to adjust the amount of pressure being applied. The system I'm looking at removes the spring and replaces it with a eurethane unit, but keeps the factory cap. In theory, the eurethane applies the same force as the spring, but its claimed that it doesn't degrade over time like the spring.

WutupYo

Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30/V30
Engine Size
After the alignment is your steering wheel straight? Sometimes if the wheel is off the gear wants straighten itself. Also you may have a tire pull, try swapping the front tires side to side if it's a tire problem the truck will either go straight or pull the opposite way
The steering wheel is just BARELY off. The guy who did my alignment did mention that the caster (I think) on the right side was slightly off. Through my research on here, I've read that a bad kingpin can cause this. Also, having the lift spring and ORD shackles I have could also cause it, and I may need to slightly shim the right side. I ordered the kingpin replacesments so once those are installed we'll see how it handles.

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
I THINK what you're referring to is the setup that replaces the factory cap, with a cap that has a bolt going through the top to adjust the amount of pressure being applied. The system I'm looking at removes the spring and replaces it with a eurethane unit, but keeps the factory cap. In theory, the eurethane applies the same force as the spring, but its claimed that it doesn't degrade over time like the spring.

Interesting, I had not seen that set up before (only the cap with a set screw).

Honestly I don't think I'd trust that, with the combo of soft parts (urethane or bronze) on steel the softer part is going to wear. The puck that replaces the spring may not compress or wear but what about the king pin bushing itself? Once it begins to wear the preload is inaccurate, this is the reason for the set screw on other springless set ups.

WutupYo

Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30/V30
Engine Size
Replaced the bushing and used the solid urethane replacement. Still pulls to the right slightly. Still feels like there is some small amount of play with the right front wheel. I wonder if the wheel bearing may be bad? I also think that since it was identified my camber/caster is slightly off on that side, I should shim the springs to get that corrected. That may fix my issues...

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
If your spring(s) is healthy and strong, shimming will not effect camber or caster.

Camber can be adjusted with a shim between the spindle and knuckle.

Caster is can be adjusted with a shim under the springs or possibly by adjusting shackle length (depending on set up).

Have you swapped the front tires from side to side to check for changes in the pull?

WutupYo

Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30/V30
Engine Size
I haven't. I'll do that before anything else. Good call.

WutupYo

Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30/V30
Engine Size
Back from a week of vacation. Swapped my front tires Sunday and it still pulls to the right.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sriddle36