K5 Tailgate Closing Assist

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cstew47

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
The tailgate on my 78 K5 is extremely heavy and closing it is a real effort. I am a former powerlifter and I really struggle with it. I don't know if this model had some kind of closing assist when it was knew. I can't imagine a woman or small man trying to wrestle this. Am I missing something or is there an aftermarket product for this?

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
There is a torsion type spring at the base that assists in closing

Last edited:

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
I mean yeah they're not the lightest thing in the world, but for a powerlifter to struggle with it there must be something very wrong with it. I had a K5 when I was 18, I must've weighed all of 140lbs soaking wet back then, and I never had an issue closing it. Sure I wasn't flipping it shut with a flick of the wrist, but I certainly did not "struggle", and I'm pretty sure most girls I know would've been able to do it just fine. Are your hinges very rusty?

Itali83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
1982, 1987, 1987
Truck Model
K10, 'burban C10, Jimmy
Engine Size
350, 6.2, 350
Almost bet a paycheck the hinges are seized. Very common. Still think you’re a sissy for struggling but they do get stiff. (The hinges that is)

Ben

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hopefully your torsion rods aren't broken...

You must be registered for see images attach

Itali83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
1982, 1987, 1987
Truck Model
K10, 'burban C10, Jimmy
Engine Size
350, 6.2, 350
My 87 the torsion rods were broken the day I bought it and I never replaced them. I did remove the hinges and free’d them up and made a world of difference. In all seriousness, the tailgates are heavy, but even with no torsion bar help, they’re not bad to lift with good hinges. Check your hinges.

Ben.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
If there is a body lift, the torsion springs may have been removed completely.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Man!! I never knew there were some tailgates that were that heavy. My tailgate was nothing but those cup things that stuck inside holes in the ends of the tailgate sides and the tailgate weighed nothing and when you lowered it or raised it there was nothing to it. I can't even imagine what ya'll are talking about. Why is a K truck tailgate that heavy? For what reason? Is the tailgates for the 4X4 trucks extra heavy duty for some reason? I looked them up after reading this thread and I couldn't find anything on their weight or needing big springs. Other than @dvdswan 's pic, I would have never seen that before.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
@Raider L I believe you missed something in Craig's first post. He is talking about his K5 (sport utility vehicle). That gate and the Suburban gates have a window inside. Add the mechanics to raise the window and maybe an electric motor, that gate is easily twice the weight or more, than a pickup gate.

As @Itali83 stated, the different design of the stronger hinges adds to the problem if they are rusty.

cstew47

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
I mean yeah they're not the lightest thing in the world, but for a powerlifter to struggle with it there must be something very wrong with it. I had a K5 when I was 18, I must've weighed all of 140lbs soaking wet back then, and I never had an issue closing it. Sure I wasn't flipping it shut with a flick of the wrist, but I certainly did not "struggle", and I'm pretty sure most girls I know would've been able to do it just fine. Are your hinges very rusty?
From what I am being told, I am missing a torsion spring that is supposed to assist.

cstew47

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
From what I am being told, I am missing a torsion spring that is supposed to assist.
Hopefully your torsion rods aren't broken...

I suspect they are either broken or missing.

cstew47

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Almost bet a paycheck the hinges are seized. Very common. Still think you’re a sissy for struggling but they do get stiff. (The hinges that is)

Ben

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Back to the truck . . . what's the prognosis?

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@Turbo4whl,
Ohhhh. Yeah, I missed the memo on that one. And yes I know exactly that of which you speak. And you are right, those tailgates do weigh a ton. I do know. But I never knew they had thos spring assists in them. A friend of mine had a Dodge Power Wagon like a Blazer and it's tailgate did weigh a lot. You had to crank the glass down to open it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GrayWK