K20 wheel studs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sonders

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Ok, I need educated on replacement wheel studs. I need to replace the rear wheel studs on 78' K20 w/ drum brakes. I'm looking at them online and there isn't a whole lot of description on them. Where is best place to order them from and which ones do I need to go with?

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
That depends on what you want to do.
Aftermarket alum wheels are thicker than GM wheels and require new longer studs or special lug nuts.
If non stock wheels are an option do you want the metric thread that allows use of newer style lug nuts for screw on plastic caps?

Rickf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
1974, 1954 & a 1937
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I suppose you could remove one, take it to your local parts store and match it up.

Sonders

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Funny you should mention that 4WDKC. I've been running a set of American Racing rims on it, the classic looking bullet hole ones. However this weekend one of the rears cracked and came off bending ever single stud (hence reason for stud replacement). Not really sure on wheels at this point. Don't know if I want to try to find 1 wheel to replace, or just replace all 4 with something different. Do I need longer studs for these wheels even? Wheel studs have never been replaced on it before. I wonder if maybe the lugnuts aren't grabbing enough threads with these wheels on if they are thicker like you mentioned.

these are what's currently on it minus one cracked one now:
You must be registered for see images attach

Sonders

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I suppose you could remove one, take it to your local parts store and match it up.

Yeah Rick, that may be what happens, but was going to try to order them and have them all in hand to replace while I'm at it.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Funny you should mention that 4WDKC. I've been running a set of American Racing rims on it, the classic looking bullet hole ones. However this weekend one of the rears cracked and came off bending ever single stud (hence reason for stud replacement). Not really sure on wheels at this point. Don't know if I want to try to find 1 wheel to replace, or just replace all 4 with something different. Do I need longer studs for these wheels even? Wheel studs have never been replaced on it before. I wonder if maybe the lugnuts aren't grabbing enough threads with these wheels on if they are thicker like you mentioned.

these are what's currently on it minus one cracked one now:

Unless those wheels were speced for your truck chances are the lug nut is pulled into the wheel and why it cracked, Id check the others.

Sonders

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I think I'm going to play it safe and remove them. Truck originally had a set of 16.5 steelies on it (wagon wheel style) that are sitting in the garage, but of course can't find tires for them. I will probably throw them back on with the almost worn out tires currently on them just to get it back drive-able for the time being so I can haul wood. Then search for a descent set of replacements. So to answer your original question.....I guess stick with OE size.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
Since my rear drums had to be turned when I did my brake job, I just had the Napa machine shop install new studs.

I ran American Racing Outlaw II's on 5 of my square bodies and never had an issue. Granted this was mainly in the 90's, so newer quality might be different. IIRC they had a steel sleeve where the studs run through. I never ran longer studs, but I have always used McGard lug nuts. My K5 was running 36" tires with no problems.

Sonders

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
definitely no steel sleeve on the rims that are on my truck currently.

I'm looking at studs on Rock Auto currently and there is option for 11" or 13" rear drums. Didn't realize there was a different size drum option on 78' model. I guess I need to measure mine.

Last edited:

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
If you are replacing them I would install a longer stud just so you have them in place if you decide to go with different wheels.

Sonders

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
If you are replacing them I would install a longer stud just so you have them in place if you decide to go with different wheels.

Will it matter if I just replace this one side with longer studs for now? I'm not really sure what I'm looking at when looking at them online. Or if anybody has a good site to get them from?

Arkansas_V8

Proud Redneck
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
definitely no steel sleeve on the rims that are on my truck currently.

I'm looking at studs on Rock Auto currently and there is option for 11" or 13" rear drums. Didn't realize there was a different size drum option on 78' model. I guess I need to measure mine.

Heavy duty or not on drums(towing package).

I run stock studs on my V20 Suburban with aftermarket wheels, and a set of 16.5 steels with 37s. Never an issue. Stock will be just fine.

Front is 88 suburban(everything) 10 bolt.

Rear is 73 FF 14 bolt(11" drums), my original SF 14 bolt had towing package(13" drums).

I offroad the heck out of it, and my studs have never been the cause of a issue.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
I think I'm going to play it safe and remove them. Truck originally had a set of 16.5 steelies on it (wagon wheel style) that are sitting in the garage, but of course can't find tires for them. I will probably throw them back on with the almost worn out tires currently on them just to get it back drive-able for the time being so I can haul wood. Then search for a descent set of replacements. So to answer your original question.....I guess stick with OE size.

Its not the OE size that is the issue its the thicker non OE wheels. Heres the article I used to find the studs I bought, ignore the part about the disc swap.

http://www.billavista.com/tech/Articles/14-Bolt_Disc_Brakes_V2/index.html

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Heavy duty or not on drums(towing package).

I run stock studs on my V20 Suburban with aftermarket wheels, and a set of 16.5 steels with 37s. Never an issue. Stock will be just fine.

Front is 88 suburban(everything) 10 bolt.

Rear is 73 FF 14 bolt(11" drums), my original SF 14 bolt had towing package(13" drums).

I offroad the heck out of it, and my studs have never been the cause of a issue.

If you have the shank lugnut that sink into the alum wheels it allows the nut to contact more threads and not be an issue, the issue of not enough threads doent apply when using stock OE wheels.

Sonders

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Currently have this style lugnut:

Maybe I just need different style lug nuts to keep the aluminum wheels that are currently on it......I think the wheels were on a 06' 2500 HD that I bought them off of and the lug nuts came with it. Well, still need 1 wheel also since one wheel is ruined. But anyways, that's getting away from the main point, I need to get studs and replace first.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
83elcowes