Jacking my truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zipwit

Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Scottsdale
Engine Size
I'm new to this site. Also I don't pretend to be any kind of mechanic. I'm here because I have a problem with my '78 C20 3/4-ton Scottsdale. I'm trying to remove a tire at home. The old screw jack that came with the truck is jammed and I currently am soaking it in a tub of motor oil to hopefully loosen it up. WD-40 did nothing. I tried two old bottle jacks but they won't reach even with wood blocks. It doesn't matter which of the four tires I take off. I'm just trying to match up the lug holes of a spare rim I acquired before I have a tire put on it. Two questions I have. Can you recommend a good (cheap, please) jack? Bottle or scissor or whatever. And what are the good jacking points? I prefer not to get a floor jack at this point. I have 16" wheels. Any help would be truly appreciated.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Welcome!
Well you don’t need to remove a wheel to check lug pattern. You have 8x6.5.
Measure lug width 180degrees apart. Center to center of holes needs to be 6.5” to fit.
Jacks?
Bottle jack under rear axle with maybe a couple short blocks will jack up the back axle easily.
Front, shortest height is under the a arm.
And if you are doing much work at all, may as well get a floor jack.

zipwit

Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Scottsdale
Engine Size
GD: Thanks for your advice. I'm going to hit the hay now. I will try what you say tomorrow and get back to ya.

cstew47

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Why don't you just make a paper template? That way you don't need to remove anything.

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Drive it to the shop that is going to install the tire and ask them to test fit the wheel or throw the dog bones (lug pattern measuring device) on it before they mount the tire.

ETA: You should get a decent jack anyway, what's the point of having a spare if you cant mount it on the side of the highway...

zipwit

Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Scottsdale
Engine Size
Thanks for your help, guys. Grit dog: Wheel's not off yet. One jack leaks. The other...well... Took your advice, though. From hole center to hole center at 180 degrees is 6.5". The old bottle jack I put under the axle is too big. Next week I'll get a floor jack and a 4 ton bottle jack for the road. funny thing about the wheel, though. It has a small Chrysler logo stamped on it.

zipwit

Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Scottsdale
Engine Size
Corvette Ed: Yeah, Harbor Freight. 4 ton bottle jack is less than $25.00.

zipwit

Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Scottsdale
Engine Size
csteW47: Yeah, did the template thing, too. It worked. Thanks

zipwit

Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Scottsdale
Engine Size
CalSgt: I understand about having the tire shop test fit the wheel. But the spare is going to go in another vehicle, not the truck. So there will be nothing for them to match it with. That is the center of the problem: the truck won't be there. And yeah, I know I need a road jack. I've changed flats at least twice. Once on a pull-off off a state highway. And once in a gravel parking lot. And I think once in the yard here. 16" steel wheel. Loads of fun. Used the old screw jack that came with the truck. It is doable. This jack is all jammed up now.

1973c10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Welcome

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
I have been told that for the old 8 bolt 16” wheels they used the same bolt pattern for GM, Ford and Chrysler, so you might have a Mopar wheel on your Chevy. And they are lug centric, not hub centric. However, I assume there may have been differences in wheel width and/or offset from one manufacturer to the other. I would have the tire shop check to make sure the one Mopar wheel is identical to your other wheels.

zipwit

Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Scottsdale
Engine Size
75gmck25: Thanks for the update. I was kinda thinking the same thing, that the wheel manufacturer was making wheels for everybody. A bit worrisome though. Using my testing system, from another poster, I'm pretty sure the lug holes will match the lugs. Wheel width, not too sure. I understand lug centric, just not to sure about what you mean about hub centric. Here's the weird thing. The tire and wheel are going to a tire place tomorrow --- on the way to the dentist. The pickup is staying home and the wheel/tire are going in another vehicle. So I'm not going to be able to have the tire place compare spare wheel with what's on the truck and I still have not been able to fix my jack and get a replacement. And now that I think about it more, tomorrow when I get up I may bail (not the dentist, hah!, the tire place) until I get a jack and at least see if this wheel fits the truck. Big mole hill, this.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shake1969