IT'S IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikeoverland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
250/I6
In one of those "I can't believe this happened" incident, I was able to remove and reinstall a newer transmission into the basket case by myself and without the use of a transmission jack or a jack of any type. I had all of these "friends" who said that they would help me install the transmission but none of them showed up to even heckle me. I do need to adjust the 3 speed linkage so all of the sliders work but that should be easy. As far as the old saginaw 3 speed....... I figured out why it failed......... First off there was no oil in the case. This lack of lubrication caused the front and rear main bearings to burn out. I thought that it was just the rear bearing that was bad until the old transmission hit my driveway. the input shaft had more play in it than the output shaft had! How did this vehicle even move??????? When I pulled the driveshaft i found out that the rear u joint was bad. I found this out when it FELL APART! I looked at the bearing caps and realized that there were NO BEARINGS in them! And, Yes, I was still driving the truck. I've put about 50 miles on the vehicle with the original bad transmission and missing u joints.......Please Please Please tell me how i was able to pull this miracle off........ I know that older trucks are tough and run forever but please, this vehicle should have never been able to move.

Mike in Leon Springs
owner of the 1981 C10 known as "the Basket case"

BTW..... has anyone ever seen a transmission yoke that was hourglass shaped? If not, please let me know and I'll send you a picture of the yoke on my driveshaft. (lets see 2 u joints, and a yoke..... this is going to cost more in parts than the truck cost to buy...)

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
Yea when I took apart my 79 c10 to swap in its bbc and th400, the output was all wobbly and the u joint needle bearings were all burnt up and gone, yet it still drove fine lol

mikeoverland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
250/I6
Yea when I took apart my 79 c10 to swap in its bbc and th400, the output was all wobbly and the u joint needle bearings were all burnt up and gone, yet it still drove fine lol
I don't think that a modern vehicle could do this without throwing off codes left and right....Old school for the win!

Mike in Leon Springs

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shepard te