Issues after reassembling steering column

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Masziviot

Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
I put a new ignition rack and bearings in my steering column and have a lot of movement in the wheel it is tilt steering.
You can shake the steering wheel around like there is to much play in the center shaft each way.

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
I put a new ignition rack and bearings in my steering column and have a lot of movement in the wheel it is tilt steering.
You can shake the steering wheel around like there is to much play in the center shaft each way.

I have only rebuilt a couple of steering shafts, and shortened one. It sounds like to me one of your bearings are not seated properly.

C10MixMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG10
Engine Size
ZZ4 350

You must be registered for see images attach

things that will cause a steering wheel to feel loose.

the 4 bolts at #61 in the pic are known to loosen you would have to loosen the whole column again

the pivot pins at#39 can come loose

or you missed something on the upper shaft there should have been a lower bearing, lower race,upper race, upper bearing, a spacer and the tension spring.

RoryH19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rory
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado SWB
Engine Size
350 TBI
Was there movement before the replacement?
Sounds like the bolts by the tilt steering mechanism may be loose.
I just had to tighten mine last week in my R10. Have to take the steering column apart to get to the bolts.
Common problem as my k5 had to be done ~ 1 year ago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GrayWK