Is this stock or cobbled?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
A couple things that dont look right to me. One is this class 3 hitch. Does this look like it came this way (with the cross member its welded to in 2nd pic) or did someone cobble this up? If they did cobble it, what was that cross member originally for? Would like to replace it with whatever stock was. Also - whats the bent cross member? I took the spare tire one out....this another part of it?

One last question.....are these things held in with rivets? There's some bolts, but I see alot of these rounded head (both sides).....like rivets. Think they will be easier to remove with the bed off. Want to take this hitch off to replace it with a Class 5 - have a custom spare holder going back in where this mess was.

THX

You must be registered for see images attach

eskimomann209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Definitely a PO special. Need something like this.
IT SAYS 78 but I looked and its application lists for 73-87

eskimomann209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
There’s also a hidden hitch with a roll pan on eBay for a hunnit more or so.

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Definitely cobbled. The crossmember with the lightening holes in it is an actual frame part. The other two are for the spare. The step bumper is the factory hitch. If you ordered the receiver hitch option I don't think the step bumper was compatible, and the spare went in the bed.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Thanks fellas. Looked half assed but wondered if it was a complete cobble or a cobbled repair on a factory idea. Going Class V when all this is gutted and scrapped.

I think I'm going to hunt down a new unmolested cross member and just cut that hitch off this one. Nice wiring there too....more tape than copper. There's another ball between the bed and cab and the king of all blobs under the dash. Its not fixable - going all new harnesses.

PO needs tracked down and high five'd.....in the face.....with a chair.

btw....are those rivets they used? About the size of a nickle and rounded like a carriage bolt on both sides.

Blue Ox

Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Somebody wants those spare tire parts. I looked for mine for years.

Last edited:

eskimomann209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Thanks fellas. Looked half assed but wondered if it was a complete cobble or a cobbled repair on a factory idea. Going Class V when all this is gutted and scrapped.

I think I'm going to hunt down a new unmolested cross member and just cut that hitch off this one. Nice wiring there too....more tape than copper. There's another ball between the bed and cab and the king of all blobs under the dash. Its not fixable - going all new harnesses.

PO needs tracked down and high five'd.....in the face.....with a chair.

btw....are those rivets they used? About the size of a nickle and rounded like a carriage bolt on both sides.

You talking about the rivets holding the angle iron to the bottom of the bumper?
Those look like factory style rivets. But they can be bought and installed aftermarket. If you’re talking about the ones holding the tire carrier and the cross brace onto the frame. Those are definitely factory.

For the bumper / hitch issue mentioned above. I’d cut an opening a little larger than the hitch receiver. And spring load the license plate for a custom hide a hitch.

For the rivets I use a cutting wheel on a grinder. Cut an “X” into the head of em, then chip them off with an air chisel. Once the heads are gone I drive them out with a punch on the chisel.
I won’t lie, sounds easier than it sometimes is.
The brace welded on. I’d drop it, cut the square tube off pearl disk it smooth paint it and rehang it.
For the bent one. It’s just another stiffener. I think it did have to do with the carrier. Or wires ran across it. I can’t remember for sure on mine but it’s factory.

Last edited:

Blue Ox

Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
For the bent one. It’s just another stiffener. I think it did have to do with the carrier. Or wires ran across it. I can’t remember for sure on mine but it’s factory.

I promise they're both for the spare. I just ended a 35 year parts famine and finally got the spare mounted under the truck. I was able to buy the front one from GM, but had to get the rear one from salvage. The tire rests on both of them.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
i should not throw away any of those i find then.. just strips of flat stock to the unknowing

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Somebody wants those spare tire parts. I looked for mine for years.

I didn't toss them - thought I'd have them powder coated when everything else goes in, then store them somewhere out of the way. Same price whether its 20 pcs or 21. Only casualty was one piece of the threaded rod - had to cut it to get it off (damaged threads).

I had a bracket made up to store the spare - never liked the original design....figured to change a tire on the road somewhere, it would be a PITA to get the old one back up in...weight, etc. New bracket looks like an open box frame like what semi's have under their trailers...will allow the tire to be easily stored with a chain/lock across the one open side. :hat:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84