Is This (Crappy) Connector Necessary?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
This serves as a piss poor intermediate for the blower high speed power feed and compressor signaling on my car. I didn’t think so but double checked that squares don’t have these. I repaired it a year and a half ago by trimming the melted portion of the female connector and applying heat shrink to the exposed wiring, but heat from the red wire finished off the male portion of the connector a couple weeks ago. Does this lame brained factory concept serve any purpose besides maybe easier diagnostics, or can I safely bypass?

You must be registered for see images attach

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Can always replace it with a new weatherpack connector. Or solder wires together, just would likely have to cut them if removing later.

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
x2

Buy a new connector and rebuild is the route I would take. If not, I feel that at some point down the line I would need to separate those wires after i soldered them as a quick fix, then I'd be pissed lol.

CorvairGeek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Scottsdale
Engine Size
292 L6, T400
I believe it is to make the harness 'modular' i.e. where the engine mates together with the body. Mine had gotten hot enough before replacing with crimp connectors (soldered and with heat shrink, slid inside the original plastic connector) that the 10 gauge wire was contacting the compressor wire, so I had clutch engagement even when the car was off!
I've had the fusible links fail down at the starter (almost straight down from this connector) too even though they run through a heat shield by the exhaust. The 9C1 cars move these connections up by the battery with a terminal block, so the engineers knew the heat by the starter was an issue.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Trying to source a connector that has the same attributes as the original - one 12 gauge wire and two 18 gauge wires. I found what would be a good, cheap candidate male end but no female at all. This is a GM integral voltage regulator connector; Dorman makes it, and it’s accessible, but I guess that makes sense that there would be no female end to it.

You must be registered for see images attach

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Search mouser, and when possibly working design is found check the datasheet to see if there is an option on that connector for arranging of wires. Or just order large generic weather pack connectors similar to O2 sensor connector style

Last edited:

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Last edited:

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
For example, Delphi - 12020830 can be used and the pins can be ordered to be used with the size wire you have
Edit:
Cheap plentefull and can handle up to 20 amp. Look up data sheet for matching male/female combo and correct pins for application
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Aptiv-formerly-Delphi/12020827?qs=sGAEpiMZZMs7eK6h2EBtKr9SeeGJX/RDLtyku/Vp55o=

Okay, thanks. I’ll start my homework now.

P.S. That one that you attached there already looks perfect, and everything I need to make it work should be easily obtainable. Thanks for sharing the site. I think I’ve seen it in a blurb on here, but I was limiting myself to pigtails I could pick up at the parts store so this really opens things up.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128