Is my fuel pump wired wrong?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EastAustinSawdust

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Big Ten Bonanza
Engine Size
5.7L 350
The previous owner of my 78 c10 installed an electric fuel pump (a Mallory Series 110). The fuel pump turns on when you turn the key to the accessory position. In other words, if I turn the accessories on, the fuel pump runs.

1. Is that right? I thought it’s not good for the pump to run it when the engine isn’t running.

2. If not, what do I do to fix it? Put it on a relay? Add a kill switch? Those are ideas gathered from some Googling. Would love more detailed instructions on how to actually do them.

Thanks!
Adam

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
A fuel pump draws a lot of current, so it should always be powered by a relay.

Activate the relay using a circuit that is only on when the truck is running, not when in the accessory position. I'd have to verify for sure, but I think the wiper circuit would work (you can easily tap into it under the hood), or if you have an electric choke wire it would also work to activate the relay.

Bruce

WebMonkey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
electric fuel pumps usually have a built in pressure switch.

they immediately pump up the juice until it reaches 'pressure'.

so, it may be just fine.

my 2005 dodge fires up the pump without cranking the engine.
my polaris 4 wheeler does as well.

that's all the help i can give.

sorry

C10MixMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG10
Engine Size
ZZ4 350
The previous owner of my 78 c10 installed an electric fuel pump (a Mallory Series 110). The fuel pump turns on when you turn the key to the accessory position. In other words, if I turn the accessories on, the fuel pump runs.

1. Is that right? I thought it’s not good for the pump to run it when the engine isn’t running.

2. If not, what do I do to fix it? Put it on a relay? Add a kill switch? Those are ideas gathered from some Googling. Would love more detailed instructions on how to actually do them.

Thanks!
Adam

75GMCK25 is rite a relay is a good idea. You should also ground the relay through a oil pressure switch, that way in the event of a accident the fuel pump quits when the engine dies.

Most fuel injected cars the computer primes the system when you cycle the key but shuts off after a few seconds, not needed for your carb. setup.

You must be registered for see images attach

RoryH19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rory
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado SWB
Engine Size
350 TBI
x2, all of the FI cars I have, even my 87 R10 TBI prime the fuel system when the key is turned on.
This allows for ease of starting, similar to pressing the gas pedal first on a carb.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
75GMCK25 is rite a relay is a good idea. You should also ground the relay through a oil pressure switch, that way in the event of a accident the fuel pump quits when the engine dies.

Most fuel injected cars the computer primes the system when you cycle the key but shuts off after a few seconds, not needed for your carb. setup.

X2!

EastAustinSawdust

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Big Ten Bonanza
Engine Size
5.7L 350
A fuel pump draws a lot of current, so it should always be powered by a relay.

Activate the relay using a circuit that is only on when the truck is running, not when in the accessory position. I'd have to verify for sure, but I think the wiper circuit would work (you can easily tap into it under the hood), or if you have an electric choke wire it would also work to activate the relay.

Bruce

Thanks for the advice, Bruce (and others).

Any idea what kind of relay, and/or where I could go to find that info?

EastAustinSawdust

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Big Ten Bonanza
Engine Size
5.7L 350
Prob should have consulted this resource earlier: the install instructions for the pump:

Says wire it into an oil pressure switch.

I’ll have to scrounge around tomorrow. It’s night and raining and cold, not the best time to crawl into the back of my engine bay.

Raybo135

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Raymond
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Silverado
Engine Size
Bingo. That sounds even better!

That is exactly what I was goin gto recommend. It will only run when the engine is running. Great in the event of an accident, it won't continuosly be running if the engine isn't and that would be a huge fire danger if it did run continuously!

Last edited:

EastAustinSawdust

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Big Ten Bonanza
Engine Size
5.7L 350
Circling back. Purchased the Revolution Electronics relay. Installed it today. Works precisely as advertised. Install was pretty straightforward...connects inline with the fuel-pump-to-battery line, and also hooks into a 12v accessory circuit, the tach wire from the distributor, and ground. Had to install an optional diode (included) that runs across the + and gnd wires of the fuel pump to get it to work. Runs pump for 3 sec when accessories are on, then stops it, and then runs it again when engine runs.

I don’t have a tach, so my tach lead on the distrib was empty. Rather than trying to jam a paddle connector in there I just bought a pigtail connector: https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p...VA9vACh0dDQxkEAQYAiABEgICw_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Interestingly the fuel pump (Mallory 110) was already wired into a relay. A Novita RL45. No clue what it did. But it allowed the pump to run nonstop when the accessories were on, hence this whole thread.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Interestingly the fuel pump (Mallory 110) was already wired into a relay. A Novita RL45. No clue what it did. But it allowed the pump to run nonstop when the accessories were on, hence this whole thread.

What that relay would do, if it was wired correctly, keep the voltage load of running the pump, off what ever switching circuit you choose to use.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I believe what he originally asked was the pump would run in ACC, which is the switch turn before on that usually lets you run the radio and 12v plug in most cars, not sure about these trucks. But it seems he found what he was looking for.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg