Is 1.5* Positive Camber Too Much - If So, How Do I Adjust?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I took the Jimmy to get aligned the other day. I was aware that aligning a solid front axle is different than IFS, but I was under the impression that toe adjustment is normal, and that while camber adjustment isn't conventional, there are methods to bring it close to spec. Well, the only alignment place nearby said that he adjusted the toe, but the camber reading was what I mentioned above, and he didn't know how to adjust or if it could be adjusted. What do I need to do? I just payed a lot of money for new tires, and I don't want them to be eaten up because some local yokel said there was nothing I could really do.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
With this if it has one. This is a 91 Burb rear.

You must be registered for see images attach

Mine only has one on the drivers top ball joint.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
You have to use an adjustable piece in the upper balljoints. But it can rotate over time and sometimes not recommended if camber is just a bit off. 1.5* might be enough to be worth the trouble and a good alignment shop should know very well how to set camber on a front solid axle.(or have a computer that does).

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
You have to use an adjustable piece in the upper balljoints. But it can rotate over time and sometimes not recommended if camber is just a bit off. 1.5* might be enough to be worth the trouble and a good alignment shop should know very well how to set camber on a front solid axle.(or have a computer that does).
Good info. The shop has the fancy alignment machine, and they did the toe, camber, and caster on my Caprice with no problems so I figured that they should be okay with the Jimmy. I'm probably gonna have to venture farther to get a proper alignment.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Double check your ball joints, they can cause bad camber reading. Generally before alignment a shop will check all the wear items for play.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Often they call it a camber kit or ball joint adjustable sleeve.

Good info. The shop has the fancy alignment machine, and they did the toe, camber, and caster on my Caprice with no problems so I figured that they should be okay with the Jimmy. I'm probably gonna have to venture farther to get a proper alignment.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I've checked for play on the front, and there's none to speak of.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Was just mentioning. I thought mine were good until the alignment shop showed me otherwise using a longer pry bar

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Just to clarify, you guys are talking about those big castle nuts right on the very top of there, correct?

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
With this if it has one. This is a 91 Burb rear.

Mine only has one on the drivers top ball joint.

Just to clarify, you guys are talking about those big castle nuts right on the very top of there, correct?

If you look at the first pic again, notice the hex underneath the castlenut. Thats the adjustment that isn't installed on yours.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Yours does not have the adjustment. You would take the nut out, press the balljoint down, then remove the plain sleeve using special socket. Then use an adjuatable one, install and press the balljoint back per the manual(there is a sequence procedure that I don't exactly remember)

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
Hi . new member old guy here. There is another way to set camber on a solid axle rig. Moog and others make shims to install behind the spindle. You need to get the front end checked and have them do a print out of the measurements and then figure out how much you need to change it. 1.5 degrees camber is way too much. I try to shoot for 0 or .25 degrees and maybe an eighth toe in. this moog shim is thicker on one edge and goes over the spindle bolts then the spindle. This also might give you a chance to clean inspect and repack your wheel bearings and the spindle bearing. This shim setup seems to work better for me and the change is more positive. sorry about the late post

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Hi . new member old guy here. There is another way to set camber on a solid axle rig. Moog and others make shims to install behind the spindle. You need to get the front end checked and have them do a print out of the measurements and then figure out how much you need to change it. 1.5 degrees camber is way too much. I try to shoot for 0 or .25 degrees and maybe an eighth toe in. this moog shim is thicker on one edge and goes over the spindle bolts then the spindle. This also might give you a chance to clean inspect and repack your wheel bearings and the spindle bearing. This shim setup seems to work better for me and the change is more positive. sorry about the late post
Good call on the shims. But lol me you said they are for small corrections.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128