Intro and is it worth fixing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

luna negra

Reaction score
First Name
luna
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Hey, new guy here from Central Texas. Just acquired this GMC Jimmy in a trade for some motorcycle mechanical work. I'm pretty handy with a wrench, but never really did any major body work. My question for the crowd here is this thing worth putting the money into fixing or is it a major lemon? I'm on the fence about whether to keep it or sell as it. I realize that's an incredibly difficult question to answer with just a few details but reading some of the builds here on this site, you guys have seen a lot of issues.

It's a '79 with 45K miles but the motor has been replaced with a '77 305 (2bbl) w a TH770R4 according to the numbers. Mechanically sound - motor runs & everything works on the tranny & transfer but needs new hoses, lines, etc. Floors and rockers however are rusted and will require complete replacement. Interior is pretty much trashed and numerous body dents all around. I'm not looking for a beauty queen or complete restoration candidate but would like a reliable vehicle I could occasionally use on beach trips or running around locally. The main thing that concerns me is that the frame is slightly bent on both sides at the front bump stops above the leaf springs. (where finger is pointing) Both spots on the frame are slightly been inward. Looks like someone jumped this truck pretty hard but doesn't appear to have affected the stance or tracking when driving. Should this be a red flag or hardly a concern? Any insight you guys could provide is appreciated. Thanks, Jon
You must be registered for see images attach

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Howdy! That's more solid than half of my trucks.

My method of testing the structural integrity of a K5 body is this:
1: Open the tailgate. If the rear body doesn't fall down, it's looking promising.
2: Remove top. If the bedsides don't fall off, you are home free. At the most, basic repairs will be needed.

animal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 silverado
Engine Size
350ish
:welcome:

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
:welcome:

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Looks great to me but im a sucker dude - ask MY Blazer!
LoL

Dude.
A ROUND EYE?
o_O

Do you know exactly how much AMERICAN BADASS that is?

I think you lucked out man.
Sure you could sell it off but then you wouldnt have a freaking round eye K5 Blazer.

Your question is not correctly worded...I think if you changed it to read something along the lines of "Do you think I am enough AMERICAN BADASS to own a ROUND.EYE. K5?" - that might be better.

Wtf r u askin me for, I don't know you maaannnnn but you're off to a great start even if it IS white.

They don't make em like that no more bro. Modern day 4x4s aint got jack **** on that things' tank.

For your described intention and useage? You owe that sucker a huge favor. The floorpan patches are FIFTY BUCKS!
Trim em with some snips, caulk it up and put a floormat on it.

Dude.
You have a freaking round eye K5.
People only WANT those.
Everybody else does anyways...it's got a live front axle for Pete's sake!

Fuhgedaboudid!:33:

I think a person must really OWN owning a Squarebody, they aren't for everybody. This website is where many AMERICAN BADASS gather.

I did .not .stutter .when I said that.

*edit*
There are less and less of those -everyday the number gets smaller.
If you decide you don't really belong here homeboy? , I'll help you get your money back out of it, NP. Maybe you are in the right place!

Last edited:

WFO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Welcome from up in the Panhandle.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
That looks like a keeper, especially for a Blazer. You might want to take it somewhere to see where the caster and camber settings are compared to factory spec. You can adjust with sleeves or shims if it’s not too far off, but that looks like localized damage to me.

TubeTruck

I'm from Boston. Deal with it.
Reaction score
First Name
Denis
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
LQ9
:welcome: from northern IL!

He jumped it and stuffed the snubbers into the frame. You're good, and just quote everything @Rusty Nail said :happy160:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL