Interior wood grain trim removal project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Daveo91Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Silverado Suburban
Engine Size
Vortec 383, modified TBI/4L80e
You must be registered for see images attach
Got all my wood grain stuff removed and am pretty pleased with the results. No offense to anyone that has wood grain and likes it (if I had a round eye I’d probably have tried to keep it) but I’ve never liked the late model Silverado (burbs only?) wood grain on the dash. My ‘89 K5 Silverado had all aluminum in those spots and I liked that much better.

Dash - bought an aluminum skin from LMC for it. Peeled off old wood grain panel and got as much of the adhesive off with acetone before I put on the new skin. Had to modify it for my add-on brake light since I have a tach/fuel gauge where the brake light is supposed to go. Only annoyance was the adhesive on the very small strips around the HVAC controls didn’t stick well and I had to put a few drops of gel super glue behind there. FYI - LMC catalog said this part was for up to ‘88, but it works fine for ‘89-‘91, the radio hole is different but the rest of the dash bezel is the same.

Strip on the passenger side of the dash - this was amazing. It peeled right off and left zero residue. Behind it was what I think is the same finish as a base model which is good enough for me. Still like it better than the wood grain. I broke my Silverado trim plate in the process, but found the 80s version on eBay for $15. Fits perfectly.

Door panels. Peeled these off but wasn’t as lucky with the dash - it was just smooth plastic behind there and lots of glue residue left. I got as much of the glue off as I could and went back with some carbon fiber tape from the parts store that I cut to size. Not the most beautiful stuff in the world, but I can live with it.

animal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 silverado
Engine Size
350ish
Nice :waytogo:

Rickf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
1974, 1954 & a 1937
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Did you add those outside rear view mirrors? Are both sides remote?

Daveo91Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Silverado Suburban
Engine Size
Did you add those outside rear view mirrors? Are both sides remote?

No those are factory. They were an option for I think ‘90 and ‘91 only. Drivers side switch controls both mirrors.

Billy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Got all my wood grain stuff removed and am pretty pleased with the results. No offense to anyone that has wood grain and likes it (if I had a round eye I’d probably have tried to keep it) but I’ve never liked the late model Silverado (burbs only?) wood grain on the dash. My ‘89 K5 Silverado had all aluminum in those spots and I liked that much better.

Dash - bought an aluminum skin from LMC for it. Peeled off old wood grain panel and got as much of the adhesive off with acetone before I put on the new skin. Had to modify it for my add-on brake light since I have a tach/fuel gauge where the brake light is supposed to go. Only annoyance was the adhesive on the very small strips around the HVAC controls didn’t stick well and I had to put a few drops of gel super glue behind there. FYI - LMC catalog said this part was for up to ‘88, but it works fine for ‘89-‘91, the radio hole is different but the rest of the dash bezel is the same.

Strip on the passenger side of the dash - this was amazing. It peeled right off and left zero residue. Behind it was what I think is the same finish as a base model which is good enough for me. Still like it better than the wood grain. I broke my Silverado trim plate in the process, but found the 80s version on eBay for $15. Fits perfectly.

Door panels. Peeled these off but wasn’t as lucky with the dash - it was just smooth plastic behind there and lots of glue residue left. I got as much of the glue off as I could and went back with some carbon fiber tape from the parts store that I cut to size. Not the most beautiful stuff in the world, but I can live with it.
How did you retrofit the new bezel with the larger radio to the older dash?

Daveo91Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Silverado Suburban
Engine Size
How did you retrofit the new bezel with the larger radio to the older dash?

I have a '91 - came stock with the larger radio - and I used my original bezel. Just installed an aluminum skin over the top of original bezel.

My original plan was to use a bezel from a pre-'89 that I found at a swap meet for $10. They must have changed the tooling on the lower part of the dash when they went to the double DIN radio - if I had used that bezel there would have been nothing to screw in to at the bottom corner and there would have been a gap to the right of the radio.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T3rraBeara