Interior Rear View Mirror

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

79Scott

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10-Silverado
Engine Size
305ci
Hey guys,
Have any of you ever replaced the glass in the review mirror? Mine has delaminated and looks like crap. Taking a quick look at it I couldn't figure out if the actual mirror comes apart or not.

Thanks

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
I bought a GM mirror for about $35 as a replacement. Worked perfect. GM 25603373

You must be registered for see images attach

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
A good glass company can cut you a piece of glass to pop in over the old one. I say a good shop because it looks bad if it’s all jagged and doesn’t fit right, it’s not ideal.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
If you had a local company cut a piece, you would lose the day/night function. I had originally thought of doing the same thing. The mirror I listed above has that function.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Mine still works when you flip it for the night function. The problem is when there’s a temperature jump, it’ll pop out and I have to put it back in. It’s a minor nuisance, and I’d rather get a new one, but it’s pretty low priority.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
^^^ Funny- when I upgraded my 2003 Silverado to one with autodimming and compass I found that the '03 Silverado mirror fit my '77 just fine (as my old one was delaminated).

So might check the local junk yards.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
I would recommend the mirror replacement with the dome lights. Most all the mirrors factory installed in GM's and Fords were made by a company called Donnelly.

Picture of a damaged mirror I replaced:

The prismatic glass is replaceable. Remove the mirror from the vehicle. Carefully pry the plastic ring off the face of the mirror. Notice the glass is wedge shaped.

Having a dome light in front of you is much better if you are trying to read something at night.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I’ve also seen those inserts that go over the factory mirror that turn into a backup camera when you pop into reverse if we’re talking about upgrades. I like the GMT800 compass/thermometer upgrade better because that’s important info to have without sacrificing aesthetics, plus it’s a slippery slope to start pussifying your old car/truck with modern tech, JMO, and older vehicles generally have really good visibility, but it’s food for thought.

TPISly-C10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sly
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 shortbox
Engine Size
LQ4 6.0L
went i do my LS swap i keep everything from my donor include rear view mirror! :D

BiggDeano

Reaction score
First Name
Dean
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 suburban
Engine Size
7.4L
All the newer mirrors are made by one company no matter what vehicle it’s in and if you go on eBay and search rear view mirror you can find all kinds of options and the wiring harness. Mine came out of a Chrysler Sebring and has auto dimming, dome lights, garage door opener, temp, and a compass. The wire harness even came with the temp probe.

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
If you arent going period correct then any modern era (late 90's up) mirror would serve nicely. Gentex is a major manufacturer and adding any wiring is as simple as power (or switched source) and ground for auto dimming. Map lights and temp would be another bit of wiring but thats pretty straight forward too. If you go with a temp reading mirror try to get a package with the harness. If you go to a junk yard you should be able to snag it all for under $40.

Wiltff

Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.2 Diesel
All the newer mirrors are made by one company no matter what vehicle it’s in and if you go on eBay and search rear view mirror you can find all kinds of options and the wiring harness. Mine came out of a Chrysler Sebring and has auto dimming, dome lights, garage door opener, temp, and a compass. The wire harness even came with the temp probe.

Great idea. I thought I was doing pretty good with map lights.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
If you arent going period correct then any modern era (late 90's up) mirror would serve nicely. Gentex is a major manufacturer and adding any wiring is as simple as power (or switched source) and ground for auto dimming. Map lights and temp would be another bit of wiring but thats pretty straight forward too. If you go with a temp reading mirror try to get a package with the harness. If you go to a junk yard you should be able to snag it all for under $40.
Gentex is the one company Crispy is talking about. Aftermarket or OEM I've never seen a single one that isn't Gentex. I know @RetroC10Sport sent me one and it got broke when a heavy transmission part was dropped on it. I've since acquired a couple more from totaled vehicles with the pigtail. Sometimes it's hard to find one with the features you want. Like, I don't want one with Onstar. I'd prefer just Compass, Temp and Homelink. Compass and Temp aren't hard to find but usually not later GM's since the Onstar is in them.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sahara