Interesting electrical question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

87silveradok20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Levi
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado k20
Engine Size
So I put 2015 style tow mirrors on my truck (the point of this thread is not to hate on them. I like them and if you don't it won't change my opinion). They have a courtesy light that shines backwards on them and I want to wire it in to work with the dome light. I wired up everything in the doors, put the door panels back on, and went to wire them in to the dome lights and realized that they are negative switched and I wired the lights on the mirror to be positive switched. I don't want to pull the doors back apart and run a power wire through the cab to the doors. So my question is is there some relay or something that will work to "convert" negative to positive. I know there's not a one wire in one wire out option but is there something that will work? Thanks in advance.

Ps. I attached a picture of the mirrors just for you guys who hate them
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

notime2d8

Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
I wanted to do this but didn't want to lose my vents. For the wiring.....the lights need a power and ground to work. So if you have constant power to the lights, you just need to wire the light ground to the door pin ground. Or just tap into the power and ground from the dome light - I've added extra lights this way, tapping into the light under the dash.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

87silveradok20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Levi
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado k20
Engine Size
I wanted to do this but didn't want to lose my vents. For the wiring.....the lights need a power and ground to work. So if you have constant power to the lights, you just need to wire the light ground to the door pin ground. Or just tap into the power and ground from the dome light - I've added extra lights this way, tapping into the light under the dash.

But the issue is that I have the mirrors set up to need a power to the lights to turn them on and off and the light under the dash in which I want to tap the power for has a ground to turn it on and off.

notime2d8

Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
But the issue is that I have the mirrors set up to need a power to the lights to turn them on and off and the light under the dash in which I want to tap the power for has a ground to turn it on and off.

Well....add a relay. Have the dome light ground switch on the relay and send power to the lights.

87silveradok20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Levi
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado k20
Engine Size
Well....add a relay. Have the dome light ground switch on the relay and send power to the lights.

Ok so I don't need a special relay to do this?

notime2d8

Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
Ok so I don't need a special relay to do this?

Nope, a standard 4 pin relay. In the image, you can tie the 86 & 30 both to power, 87 to the mirrors, and 85 to the dome ground.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
So I put 2015 style tow mirrors on my truck (the point of this thread is not to hate on them. I like them and if you don't it won't change my opinion). They have a courtesy light that shines backwards on them and I want to wire it in to work with the dome light. I wired up everything in the doors, put the door panels back on, and went to wire them in to the dome lights and realized that they are negative switched and I wired the lights on the mirror to be positive switched. I don't want to pull the doors back apart and run a power wire through the cab to the doors. So my question is is there some relay or something that will work to "convert" negative to positive. I know there's not a one wire in one wire out option but is there something that will work? Thanks in advance.

Ps. I attached a picture of the mirrors just for you guys who hate them

Ok this is what I would do. Get a relay and use the ground to trigger on and off. 30 battery 87 to light. 86 jumped to terminal 30 and 85 to door striker switch

87silveradok20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Levi
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado k20
Engine Size
Alrighty thank you guys that should get me what I need

Latest posts