Instrument panel lighting issue 1984 K10

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matthew Smith

Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hey there so I have a 1984 Silverado K10 which is my daily. So the lights for the gauges, most worn fine, but about a quarter of them. They will turn on and off randomly while you drive but manly off. Im thinking possible a bad ground connection, but I'm not sure. Any help would be appreciated

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Hey there so I have a 1984 Silverado K10 which is my daily. So the lights for the gauges, most worn fine, but about a quarter of them. They will turn on and off randomly while you drive but manly off. Im thinking possible a bad ground connection, but I'm not sure. Any help would be appreciated

The little black plastic bulb holders that you turn to lock in place may be worn and turning on you, which will cause the bulb to go out, and sometimes come back on.

If you are really lucky, it is just the spring clips, which can be folded in to get more tension.

You must be registered for see images attach

Trick is getting to them.

Could also be a bad printed circuit board, or the holes in the plastic housing are wallowed - I have that issue on mine - or, as you said , a ground I suppose.

There are some you can reach up and feel/turn/remove, and some that will require pulling the cluster.

I can get the one on the upper left of the speedo, and the one on the oil gauge. Have not tried the others, and sometimes they come out and fall down to hide. In wires, in the lower steering column cover, in your shirt or hair.

And , guess what - you are playing with lights, so you are probably doing this in the dark. Even harder to find a black item … :rolleyes:

Hoping one of the ones that is out is an easy one, give it a try - if it comes back to life, you will know.

Best of luck !

Britt

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Ground wire at kick panel near the e-brake can be cleaned/tightened and may help.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmousseau8