Instrument Cluster fuse blows

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blk81

Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
If I pull out the light switch and turn the knob to the left to brighten the IC backlights, the fuse blows. Bad light switch? It appears to be original. FYI, I installed the tachometer conversion kit with all the new parts included and all new bulbs. With the cluster removed, I checked the switch and the fuse blew even without the cluster plugged in.I thought maybe something was touching bare metal. All wiring looks good. Everything has been working fine up until last week. Blinkers and dome/courtesy lights all work. Headlights and parking lights work. I did search the forum and did not find an answer for this particular problem. Thanks for any help.

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
I have a vague recollection of some problem with my tail lights on my 86 and I would know they were out if the instrument cluster lights were out. Could have been a different car or truck though, I'm old.

WP29P4A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic V1500
Engine Size
350 TBI
Did it work properly before "tachometer conversion kit with all the new parts included and all new bulbs."?

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
can you clarify "turn knob to left". Does it blow when the lights are on at all, or does it blow when you turn it past the detent? All the way bright past the detent turns the dome light on, and if it is blowing at that point, I would suspect a short in the wire or a bad headlight switch

blk81

Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
can you clarify "turn knob to left". Does it blow when the lights are on at all, or does it blow when you turn it past the detent? All the way bright past the detent turns the dome light on, and if it is blowing at that point, I would suspect a short in the wire or a bad headlight switch
It blows the fuse as you turn the knob to the left. Starting on dim and getting brighter. I can turn all the way left and turn on the dome and courtesy light. They are working.

blk81

Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Did it work properly before "tachometer conversion kit with all the new parts included and all new bulbs."?
Yes, before and after. For several weeks after I completed the interior the dash lights worked. Just started this. I suspect there's a problem inside the headlight switch.

WP29P4A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic V1500
Engine Size
350 TBI
I agree on the headlight switch being suspect.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Yes, with that description it sounds like the headlight switch is the most likely suspect. It could also be a loose/bad connection or some corrosion in a connector somewhere. Basically a bad connection will have a higher electrical resistance and therefore will draw more current, which will blow the fuse. Its most likely that bad connection is internal to the headlight switch... its actually fairly common

blk81

Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Replaced the headlight switch. Identical connections and function. Fuse blew again. Put a new fuse in and turned the light knob clockwise (away from the direction that the dome light would come on). Fuse did not blow, however, the light switch started smoking and got HOT. Unplugged it and disconnected negative battery cable since this was on lunch break today and came back to work. What now?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84